Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

Changing a PC from Vista to XP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Changing a PC from Vista to XP Reply with quote

Dear All

As always needing some PC advice. We have a spare PC at home that i would like to use to work from home but cannot connect to our servers at work with Windows Vista.

Am I able just to reformat the hard disk and install Windows XP on it or has there major mods done to accept Vista in the first place.

Thanks

Martin
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All from memory without looking anything up but.....

XP should work fine on a machine that runs Vista, the only proviso really being the availability of device drivers for the older operating system, I've never had a problem getting any but its bound to happen as XP gets older.

Make sure you have the activation code or you'll end up with a copy that works for a month and then stops.

GS
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to steal the thread, however while we are on the subject. . .

my wifes laptop runs vista and has gradually become very slow over the last couple of years. i've run all the usual tools.
We have removed all files we need to keep as i had planned to just reinstall vista only it never came with a windows disk? is this normal for vista?
If it moves i want a go
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Vista has taken off in quite the way Microsoft would have hoped. Most of our desktop machines at work are downgraded from the Vista to XP. I'm one of just a couple of folks that run Vista... (But I have a second machine on XP, too) Wink

animalsticks - it is normal for new systems to have a chosen operating system pre-installed (An OEM version - Original Equipment Manufacturer). Usually, you will get some kind of recovery disk with them, which is likely to have the basic installation for the OS. It is less common for them to not be supplied with such a recovery disk, or some way of restoring the Operating System, but not unknown.

It is possible to download the Vista installations from Microsoft. I have tried this, and then gave up after an hour or two of trying to build bootable DVD images. Also, you might find your licence key as supplied with your machine's (OEM) Vista, might not work on the non-OEM version.
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi_martin.

You shouldnt have a problem installing XP over Vista, make sure you have everything you want backed up. And then reboot it with the XP CD in, (you might have to change the boot order in BIOS so that CD/DVD comes before hard disc). When it talks you through installing XP it will format the drive at the same time.

Its worth checking that you have the Vista disc for your PC incase you want to go back to Vista in the future, if you dont care either way then go for it.

animalsticks wrote:
sorry to steal the thread, however while we are on the subject. . .

my wifes laptop runs vista and has gradually become very slow over the last couple of years. i've run all the usual tools.
We have removed all files we need to keep as i had planned to just reinstall vista only it never came with a windows disk? is this normal for vista?

Many laptops are supplied these days without recovery discs/windows discs or driver discs. They often have a hidden partition on the hard drive that you can use to restore it should you want to revert to right out of the factory, this includes your windows and drivers and OEM software.

Whats the make and model?

Before you do anything back up all the data you want to keep. Onto another PC or external hard drive.

Without knowing the make and model here's some general advice - when booting up look for setup usually pressing F2 or F10 or delete or whatever while its booting will allow you to enter the BIOS menu. You'll know it when you see it. Theres sometimes an option on the general settings screen which might mention restore partition or D2D (disc to disc) recovery. Make sure thats enabled. Then depending on the make and model either google or post here. There are various combinations of keys you hold as it boots to enter the restore partition and thats self explanatory when your there. Acer is ALT+F10 (when enabled in BIOS).

Alternativly as JTL says you might have a disc in which case let us know thats a different way to do it. PM me if you like.
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all. Yep there's a partition drive. i'll try the way WS suggests and let you know Cool
If it moves i want a go
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a program pre-installed by Acer called 'Acer eRecovery Management' which previously asked for a disk, however also offered a partition drive option which i wasn't sure about before reading your posts. It asked for a password which we had set when we first got the machine - remembered it thankfully - is restoring to factory settings as i type.

Thanks again for all the advice Very Happy
If it moves i want a go
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked; thanks again everyone.
If it moves i want a go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: