Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

BMW 1 Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: BMW 1 Series Reply with quote

Anyone here drive one? Prefferably a Coupe.

Thanks,

HH Confused

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HH,

Just got rid of my 57-reg 123d M-Sport (hatchback though).

Great engine & drivetrain.

Ride utterly unforgiveable, even allowing for 'Sport' package; 8 warranty problems in the 2 and a bit years (2 of which were never resolved properly when I sold it); routine dealer service okay, but didn't appear particularly keen nor competent in fault finding. Extortionate labour rates (I'd be happy with 100/hr + VAT).

Also watch out for weak alloys, and a prolific tendency for tracking to throw out, even by looking at your front wheels. (Both known BM weaknesses).

I may have had a Friday afternoon car, but wouldn't look at another.

That said, my brother's on his 3rd M-car, and never had a problem!
bom
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an 08 118d with the M-Sport package (Hatch), I've had it for a year and a bit, now has 20k on the clock, of those I have done 13k. It had a new clutch at 10k, another known weakness.

Dealer has been very good, they replaced the clutch and I had the car back the very next day.

I've heard the alloy weakness is only on a certain style 18" wheel. Tracking needs to be done on mine too!

My average mileage around town with no duals is about 46mpg, cruising on the motorway at about 90mph you'll get around 53mpg, drive like a girl *Awaits abusive response* and you'll get close to 60mpg.

I love the car, goes like hell for a diesel and corners like a bitch! Awesome adjustable seats which will hug you nicely.

Very small though, if you have chunky mates they will struggle getting in and out.

Lots of people blame the harsh ride on the run flats and swear by removing them, I'm happy knowing the misses wont get in trouble if it has a blow out so have no interest in changing them. Branded tyres will cost you about 200 a tyre, but Nokians are highly thought of and are half the price.

Check out www.babybmw.net for lots of info.

Would I buy another one...... yes I would.

Bom.
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep we've got a BMW 118d Sport package. The ride is hard but well damped. It gives a very firm ride but its not too crashy. This assist with the cornering which like bom said is pretty immense, it really does grip. With the diesel you have to watch you don't get the back end out on a slippery roundabout though when you put your foot down! (done several times Twisted Evil )

Very economical, has that silly stop start system - im not all that convinced about its usefullness but it does work well and doesn't interupt driving once your used to it shutting off on you! Interior is rather plain not super interesting and just very BMW.

Driving position is OK for some, the seats are excellent with inflatable airbags in the seats to make them hug you very tight. You sit very low and there is alot of adjustability in the seats. For me im not super keen on the slightly offset driving position, you sit slightly angled in the car the footpedals are offset to the right slightly. If you faf around though you can get it comfortable no matter who you are i should think!

Rear space is about average for a small car (we have the hatchback), but i think the BMW is rather larger than that. Its rear space is mini'esque in that its ok leg room wise but its very narrow to squeeze 3 seats in, The coupe may be better having only 2 seats. We have the 5dr hatchback and the real trouble with the back though is getting in, the openings are tiny and extremely awkward, being as difficult as a 3dr model i should imagine.

Overall a great car and the pros are a great driving position, fantastic cornering and excellent sporty feel, and economical in the diesels to boot.

The cons: poor amount of room in the back (boot is good), access for the back is poor and in my opinion very expensive. Looks are not to everyones taste!
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thansk for the input folks. Not too keen on the styling of the hatchback, but I think the Coupe is rather nice. However I could get a 3 series the same age for cheaper, but I guess MPG is not as efficient as the 1 series. Anyone know the insurance group? Sad thing is buying it in Norway the insurance will nail me most likely!

Ta,

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to check on Parkers (google) and search for insurance you can find the exact spec car and what insurance group it falls into!
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention...... mine was 18" alloys, so with the run-flats ride was very crashy (more than my Scooby would you believe)!

Stop-start was one of the first warranty issues on mine (and I generally turned it off to preserve the starter motor).

Insurance is steep for 123d (Grp 16 or 17 if I recall) - original insurer wanted 900 vs the 1000 for the Prodrive equipped Impreza - managed it down to 400 in the end. But Beemer is Beemer in their eyes!

Get an M3!!! Very Happy
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself the least depreciating production vehicle currently for sale................a Land Rover Defender!
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALFA8C wrote:
Get yourself the least depreciating production vehicle currently for sale................a Land Rover Defender!

Dammit..... just sold mine!!! (For a profit! Very Happy )
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoachBoy wrote:
ALFA8C wrote:

Dammit..... just sold mine!!! (For a profit! Very Happy )

I'm just about to put mine up for sale!
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff....... sob...... how I miss her! Crying or Very sad

Sorry, we digress.
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoachBoy wrote:
Sniff....... sob...... how I miss her! Crying or Very sad

Sorry, we digress.

You could always buy mine!
Rdriver
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking about diesel coupe, i would go for TT Tdi instead. 4wheel-drive, a pretty good advantage in Scandinavian climate Wink . And not that much slower than the twincharged Beemer 123d.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: