New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Re-light my fire..
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Re-light my fire..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusaTaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re-light my fire.. Reply with quote

Just thougt I'd say hello...

I considered a career as a heli pilot about 20 years ago....the 'dream' was quickly snuffed out when I spoke with an instructor a Cardiff Wales airport who told me the costs involved and added 'the best/cheapest way to get my license was to Join the army'...An accurate statement but not a practical solution for me.
The closest I got was flying a model helicopter...great fun and rewarding, but expensive when you crash.

So here I am 20 years later and it seems nothing has changed. Something lit the fire the other day so I decided to find out more...after visiting several school websites and finding more questions than answers I came across Helitorque

So far I've only looked at the wannabes section but this has been very informatiive. After reading a few posts and looking at the helpful spreadsheet of costs..thank you veeany... it would seem that I should go no further than flying as a hobby. I can't afford/dont want to invest the best part of 100K if I'm not going to get much of a financial return.

One other thing the instructor suggested in order to keep down the costs, was to gain my fixed wing license and convert to helicopters. At the risk of offending, is this a practical way to go about things?...I can't quite see that it is...surely you want as much flight time in helicopters as you can get. On the other hand are there greater job opportunities with fixed wing?

I may pop down to Heli-air Wales in Swansea over the weekend for a chat.

By the way...Why is a turbine helicopter treated differently to an non turbine? Is it because they are larger aircraft? As far as i can see it's just a different power source... the control would not differ - please excuse my ignorance Question
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

Check out the thread called 'PPL as a hobby' in the Torque, Chat and Chill section, there's some great posts in there.

Good luck with the flying.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BusaTaz - welcome to Helitorque!

To answer the question about fixed wing licences - I believe there is some merit in it, but it would only be slight. For the PPL(H), it reduces the requirement by 5 hours (from 45 to 40 hours). However, it would be optimistic to expect to complete the PPL course in the minimum hours from scratch. So, as a train of thought, getting time in the air allows you to experience/learn flying generally; that means you're not concentrating on the "common" elements (like radio, air-law, etc.).

However, you'd still have to get the PPL(A) to have any advantage on the reduced PPL(H) hours - what's the cost of a PPL(A) 10k? That's about 35-40 R22 hours. I know which I'd go for. Wink

As for turbine vs piston - quite a difference - start a turbine engine incorrectly and you'll need a new one! But I suspect you're thinking more about why one needs to be rated on one machine over another? Most (if not all) helicopter types will require a type rating. You need a difference rating to go from R22 to R44, for example, despite them being virtually identical in all but size!
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
But I suspect you're thinking more about why one needs to be rated on one machine over another? Most (if not all) helicopter types will require a type rating. You need a difference rating to go from R22 to R44, for example, despite them being virtually identical in all but size!

Unless of course you get a nice shiny FAA licence(license)! Twisted Evil

W.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reduction you get for converting from a fixed wing PPL is only a maximum of 6 hours, but if you've only just qualified on fixed wing it's even less generous as you can only claim 10% of your pilot in command time - i.e. if you passed your PPL(A) with 10 hours solo you only get credited one hour! You'd have to hour build to 60 hours PIC before you got the maximum reduction. Might as well go straight to helicopters, and besides, it's highly unlikely you will get through in 39 hours anyway - the national average is somewhere between 60 and 80 hours according to various CAA examiners.

Good luck on your quest and hope you get airborne soon!

Sarah
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello BuzaTaz

on the subject of re-lighting your fire. From reading your post I would recomend that you take a trial lesson and then worry about the investment. I have not got a hope in hell of funding a commercial pilots licence , but that does not stop me trying. You never know hell may freeze over Very Happy . Treat yourself to a half hour trial and by the time you get home you will have a pretty good idea if its for you and please come back and tell us how you got on.
Ascend_Charlie
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbine machines are generally bigger and more complex, with hydraulics, fuel boost pumps, and electrical goodies. Of course there are exceptions, the R44 with hydraulics and the H500 without.

But there is a world of difference between an R44 and an EC120 or a Koala, and then of course you move into twins. The extra training for a separate rating or endorsement is driven by safety and by the economics for the owner, who doesn't want some yobbo to try to drive his expensive toy.
BusaTaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for the warm welcome and the advice, much appreciated.

There's quite a bit to take in.

I will take a trip down to Swansea and see whats on offer, and maybe (if I get to control the aircraft) take them up on the trial lesson...the last thing I want is a passenger ride over the Gower, pretty as it is.
bom
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BusaTaz,

I've just started my training with Swansea, they are a great bunch of guys. You do get to control the aircraft on the trial lesson and the 30 mins counts towards your hours Smile

Bom.
BusaTaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bom,

That's good news - maybe I'll see you down there.

All the best with the training
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: