New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 613
Members: 0
Total: 613

HeliTorque :: View topic - The CPL(H) Diary (at long last)
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

The CPL(H) Diary (at long last) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wav

Great video ORC - you might have to find a few more for me if the weather doesn't play ball soon! Smile

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sign of a break in the weather yet DB ?
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got my fingers crossed for tomorrow afternoon. Last weekend was a bit of a washout although I did manage .9 on Sunday morning. Conditions were best described as "interesting" with a 40kt wind up at 1600ft, some rather low scuddy cloud and rather bouncy turbulence around the ridge of the North Downs.

I have to say I wasn't exactly on top of my game - firstly I forgot to switch the transponder on until clear of the circuit and doing my FREDAT checks (no idea why and I don't remember doing that before), secondly I forgot how to ident the VOR station on the particular radio kit in that helicopter. Not exactly major errors, but stupid ones. I can only assume that actually flying the helicopter in those conditions was enough for my poor little brain Rolling Eyes

On the plus side, my flying wasn't too bad. I managed to intercept and track radials to both OCK and MID with little difficulty, and I did better at holding altitude and speed in those conditions than I usually do on a calm day! Smile

The following morning I had another session booked, but that was quite literally a washout. My sensible head said stay in bed but I thought I'd show willing and turn up to stay on the ground staring mournfully at the sky. I asked the ground handlers and office staff to at least try blowing and waving paper to waft the cloud away, but they were having none of it. And to think, I pay their wages!

Better luck next time, eh...? Cool

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough..... I was grounded that morning because of an unforecast infestation of airborne paperwork, believed to have originated from the South East.....! Very Happy
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least they tried then... Wink

I'm not sure quite how I manage this, but yesterday, when i was at work, was glorious blue skies and CAVOK, whereas today has disappeared under misty stuff. Gatwick is only a few miles south of Redhill and as I type:

METAR EGKK 081020Z 06006KT 3500 HZ BKN006 17/16 Q1016=

The forecast until noon tomorrow is:

TAF EGKK 080456Z 0806/0912 07005KT 1200 BR SCT001 BKN003 TEMPO 0806/0808 0400 FG BKN000 BECMG 0808/0811 5000 BKN007 BECMG 0811/0813 NSW BKN012 TEMPO 0813/0820 9999 SCT015 BECMG 0820/0823 BKN007 BECMG 0823/0902 3000 BR BKN004 PROB30 0902/0909 0600 FG BKN001 BECMG 0909/0912 9999 NSW FEW018=

I can only hope the BECMG and the TEMPO for this afternoon actually becm and temp at the right times! Aaaarggghhh! Crying or Very sad

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right folks, I hope you are sitting down as you read this... TWO FLIGHTS IN ONE DAY! Surprised

Yes, I finally managed it. To be fair, despite the sky being nice and blue when you looked straight up, once up in it the vis was pretty poor on the first flight, and downright dreadful on the second, particularly when heading into the sun. Not that that mattered too much to me, as I was still hammering away at the IF and staring at life through my rather fashionable foggles.

Flight 1 involved heading holds, turns, then climbing and descending turns and I'm pleased to report that the accuracy is coming on nicely (although it is rather easier without the aforementioned 40kt wind and associated bumpiness). We intercepted and tracked a radial towards OCK for a bit and then introduced a couple of new exercises.

First was recovery from unusual attitudes. The recovery is in theory - and was in practice - nice and simple. Level the helicopter first ("wings level," to use a bit of Plankology) and then sort out pitch and level. What I had not perhaps accounted for was a combination of the heat in the cockpit coupled with what I thought was a recovery from a mild dose of Man Flu which had perhaps not recovered as fully as I'd thought. Put simply, I felt pretty rough after that, so it was as a bit of a Sweaty Betty that I completed the rest of the flight Sad

Next was an auto on instruments. The first was demonstrated and the second was down to me. A nice gentle entry followed by 40kts held down to about 1000' agl, then increase the airspeed to 60kts and gradually pull in the power (airspeed increased to avoid any risk of entering vortex ring state as the power is applied).

Upon recovering to the airfield it was the usual engine-off arrival with me calling and choosing the entry. The aiming point was the southern hover square and as I entered the auto we both thought I was going to overshoot. As it happened the skids touched perfectly in line with the "H." Luck or judgement? You be the judge... Laughing

After a refuel for 'CA and a cuppa (and biscuit) for us it was back into the air into that horrible milky white vis. Marcus reckoned it was about 4km as we ploughed off to Ockham, so thanks to a very hard-working LARS controller at Farnborough Radar on 125.25 for his always appreciated assistance. We intercepted a radial and tracked inbound to OCK, then tracked another outbound for about 7 miles before a 180 and back in on yet another. At that point, and with a company R22 also operating nearby in the murk, we decided it was hometime and Marcus showed me some of the capabilities of the Garmin GNS 430 GPS/Radio/VOR kit in 'CA. Now other than knowing how the radio/VOR works and being able to zoom in and out on the GPS, I have deliberately avoided the use of GPS during my hour-building other than to use it as a moving map in the background, preferring to hone my map and compass skills, but WHAT A PIECE OF KIT! With the CDI in GPS mode we set up a "direct-to" back to Redhill (yes, we knew where the controlled airspace was...) and used the CDI fly left / fly right indications to get us back to the outskirts of Reigate. I was mightily impressed with its capabilities and I've just donwloaded the manual for a bit of light reading Wink

A fast approach and a left break to the hangar ended our flight then it was tea and medals all round. Marcus was pleased with both flights and, despite being surprised at how rough I felt after the unusual attitude episode, so was I. Already I can see the improvements in my accuracy coming from excellent instruction coupled with more regular flying.

Well it's nice to have actually had something other than the weather to write about this time. Fingers crossed for next Friday and safe flying and clear skies to all of you who are getting airborne over the next week (including Loachboy who I hope will be telling us all about his recent adventures... Cool )

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
bom
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you've managed to get into the air Smile

Can you explain what you mean by "tracked a radial" please.
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day out DB - well batted! (I've popped some vom-bags in the post for you! Wink )

Not much to add from my side of the ship - had a go at slinging a hook into selected spots in the training area....... holy chuffing Mary!!!

Just as you think the basic control of the heli has become more of a subconcious action........ no - not even close (or good enough)!!!

Definately back-to-school time but a great exercise to keep you in perspective! And great to watch!
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Loachboy - I look forward to receiving the bags. I'm assuming they are unused..?

Bom - apologies for the delay. I haven't had much time over the past couple of days. I'll keep this simple, because I am simple Smile

VOR is VHF omni-directional radio range. There are radio navigation beacons dotted around the country that send out radio signals throughout 360 degrees from the station. With the VOR receiver in the aircraft tuned to the appropriate beacon (in this case 115.3 for Ockham or "OCK") and a bearing set on the instrument - say, 350 degrees - the course deviation indicator needle on the cockpit instrument (Omni Bearing Indicator) shows you whether you need to fly left or right to get to the required radial - one of 360 tracks emanating from the VOR beacon - and a flag on the instrument also shows you whether you are flying TO or FROM the beacon, and this is critical.

That's it in a nutshell. The examiner / instructor will ask you to intercept and track a given radial and tell you whether they want you to fly "to" or "from" the beacon and off you go Cool Right - I need a rest after that... Wink

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
Thanks Loachboy - I look forward to receiving the bags. I'm assuming they are unused..?

Errrm...... I gave them a quick swill..... Embarassed
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the good news is, I didn't need them so Razz

Good afternoon all. Alas, it was a familiar sight that greeted me upon my arrival at Redhill this morning just before 9am, with lots of grey, wet, murky, low stuff that meant as I crossed the M23 in my car I couldn't even see as far as the airfield. I was met with the usual sympathetic comments along the lines of, "ahaa, we knew you'd be in as the weather's crap," (they are such a funny bunch - just as well I get my own back nicking the custard creams) but I did bump into that nice Captain VeeAny.

Anyway, after a few waves of cruddy yuck washed across the airfield, and following a few cups of tea and a chat with the chaps in the tower, our little skids finally lifted at 11am. With the cloudbase at not much above 1300' QNH we plodded off towards Ockham and I donned my foggles and entered IMC land. Without boring you with every minute detail, the IF went rather nicely. Headings, heights and speeds were all within test limits, the 40kt auto was accomplished (just need to be a bit sharper with the rpm control on entry), and the 120 radial from Ockham tracked nicely back to Reigate for rejoin. My suspicions about recovery from unusual attitudes proved correct - while it is never going to be pleasant looking down with your eyes closed while someone deliberately tries to disorientate you, I didn't feel the kind of nausea I experienced last week so I'll put that down to a slow recovery from Man Flu (girls, you wouldn't understand Wink ).

Anyway, it all had to be going too well so it was fitting that I topped it off with an appalling engine-off landing back at the field Rolling Eyes I judged the entry too late, was slow on the pedal input and buggered around with the rotor rpm. Apart from that, it was great Curse

Anyway, one chicken burger and a doggie walk later it was time for flight number 2. Another IF detail, but by way of variation out to the East this time for some straight & level, climbing and descending turns, recovery from unusual attitudes, then back for a somewhat more acceptable EOL (albeit with a rather low flare).

Once back on terra firma it dawned on me that a small, but personally satisfying milestone had been passed: 200 hours! blob7

And just to keep you all up to speed, that's now 8.8hrs of the course completed and 7.6hrs of the required 10hrs of IF.

Safe flying Heli Boy

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the double century Dancing and im glad you could get up in the air this week
seanhump
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Dave...

You'll be at 250 before you know it...
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey - it's Captain Hump! Good to see you Cool

Yes, I certainly will be. But my finances will still be at 150! Brick wall

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: