New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Flight Schools in the North West & realistic job opps...
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Flight Schools in the North West & realistic job opps...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kopitekeith
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Flight Schools in the North West & realistic job opps... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Very very new to this forum and blown away by the info on here. There are some real hardcore flight fanatics!!! Great stuff.

I'm sorry to drop in with such limited knowledge. Basically, I'm 29 and I am seriously considering PPL training. I have saved up and fortunately in a position were I can complete it around my current commitments. I have been bananas about aviation in general since I was younger and a few years ago I got the helibug when I was treated to a trip by a very generous friend.

I was hoping some experts here might be able to give me some advice or recommendations on flight schools for heli PPL. I live in the Liverpool area so anywhere in the North West is suitable. I have researched a few local schools but I only have as much info as I can find online. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Also, what are the current job opportunities or realistic future expectations in this area? I presume to get any job you would need to have the CPL - am I right in thinking this?

Thanks for any replies in advance and I look forward to meeting some cool fellow helicrazy folk online!

Keith.
RaewareAir
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

I too am new to all this and share the bananas feeling.

I have recently started training at Helicentre in Liverpool.

The received wisdom is that you should visit a few places, chat with the pilots (find one you like as you will be spending most of your learning time together) and choose from there. I was blessed to meet the guy who has become my instructor on my first visit. He is a great person who provides a good balance between friendliness and professionalism. It's about clicking with people and I didn't see the point in looking further. (I am not sure the forums encourage naming peeps but feel free to pm me if interested)

The atmosphere at Helicentre is very good. They are keen to welcome people to the fold. It is much more of a family/club feel to it than I was expecting.

They are having an open day/s on April 1st and 2nd. with seminars for people asking the questions you are.

Before you ask, I am not on commission Wink

I was keen to learn in the Schweizer 300cbi, of which they have access to a few. They also have Robinson R22s and R44s, amongst others.

As for earning money, it's my understanding you need a CPL to charge for your services. You may get to do repositionings, but they do have a few pilots there, so you might not get that chance.

Not an expert opinion, just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

It is a fantastic and humbling experience.

Cheers,
Chris
glick
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give Sally a bell at Ramsgill...based in Hawarden near Chester 01244 537276
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: