New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Helmets.......again!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Safety

Helmets.......again!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Helmets.......again! Reply with quote

After having seen the photos and learning of the pilots serious injuries from the recent helicopter accident at Glastonbury, will helmets ever become mandatory like on motorbikes? My thoughts are with him and hope he makes a full recovery but it does make one think about a helmet being a good investment.
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread not too long ago on this one.

Personally, I don't think there will be such a law - with motorbikes you are essentially an outside occupant, whereas the occupants of a helicopter are generally inside, like cars.

With that said, there are many benefits to helmets but I think it is best left to personal choice.

For me, whether I would like a helmet or not depends on the job that I am doing: SAR/EMS, yes. Pleasure flying, no.
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin ( pilot of Glastonbury crash) decided against wearing a helmet in favour of a bose headset about 3 years ago. Probably rewing that decision now as a piece of plexi glass removed part of his skull causing a blood clot on the brain.
Now for all those who think it wont happen to me, it looks bad for pax, i cant afford it etc etc. You could be in a drug enduced coma with part of your skull missing but have slightly better hearing as you were wearing a bose headset. Now Kevin is an excellent pilot who is as safe as you can get, if it can happen to him it can happen to anyone. Looks like he will be ok given a number of months / years ( probably a mechanical failure but cant say too much at the moment)
Basically it can happen to you !
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSA Gallet with CEP installed. Hands down better then and ANR system I have tried.

Not mandetory in my company, but around 70% of us wear one. Originally for increased hearing protection but after the Cougar accident... increased chance of survival and escape aswell.

I can understand people don't like them, but after using one for 3 years I am sold and rarely wear a headset now.

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt a right spanner when I first started wearing a lid, and I am certain it was simply because it was a new/novel experience for me, and not a common sight where I had been training.

I don't think twice about it now; find it more comfortable, quieter, better vision...... and always with that little bit extra piece of mind.

Here's wishing you a sound recovery Kevin!
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing for speedy recovery of the pilot involved in the recent Glastonbury crash.

HaggisHunter - how do you find the Gallet? I've always been issued the standard Alpha but I've frequently had helmet envy Razz with the Gallets. Have you used an Alpha 200/400/Eagle too for a comparison?
Did you get your CEPs in Europe or mail order from the US?
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip2,

I love the Gallet, it's a perfect fit for me. We have to options in my company, the Gallet LH250 or the Alpha Eagle. Some of the chaps with a "longer" head found the Gallet too tight and have gone for the Alpha. I personally haven't tried the Alpha but believe they don't offer a CEP option at the moment, only ANR. The ANR is David Clarke... which if it's anything like the headset it's crap in my opinion. Perhaps an after market mod is available for the Alpha.

The Gallet need to have the CEP stuff installed into the helmet when you order it, you will then get the plugs with it. You put the ear plugs in, which have wires coming from them, pop the helmet on and then plug the wires into a socket on the back of the helmet. We get all our helmets from a supplier in Norway, probably alittle cheaper ordering from the states.

The only problem I found was that I couldn't get a good seal from the earcups in the helmet, so I modded my one with some soundproofing foam stuck to the inside of the shell. This way I could put it in where I wanted to move the earcups in at the bottom giving a better seal, and better noise protection. Adding the foam made a huge difference in the passive noise levels!

If you order one, get the tinted visor on the inside and clear one on the outside. I have the tinted one on the outside and it is too far away from my face and lets alot of ambient sunlight in at the edges and the bottom of the visor. Also in winter when you put it down it goes over your nose causing it to steam up... not helpful.

Hope this helps. HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info HaggisHunter - thank you very much.

I've started to see a few Gentex floating around at work... here's hoping they haven't bought a batch of SPH4s for a bargain price
Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Safety All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: