New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 613
Members: 0
Total: 613

HeliTorque :: View topic - Qualifying X Country...
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Qualifying X Country... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanhump
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Qualifying X Country... Reply with quote

All things being equal (weather, enough sandwiches etc etc) I should be having a go at my qualifying X country next Monday - got the details to get the route planned out, and have done a few trips with / without the instrucor on various legs that I'll be doing...
It'll be the longest I've flown on my own - how did you guys cope with your first long solo flight???
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me the p & q was also nice - no-one beasting you from the P2 seat!

I'd never done the route I flew before except for the 1st leg and then only did an overfly of Nottingham (Tollerton) once some months before and that with my FI. My route was Sheffield-Nottingham-Humberside-Sheffield. Total time about 4 hours, flying time 2.5. The long leg was from Nottm to Humbs and that was past Scampton where the Red Arrows practice Helicopter buzzing so I avoided them and talked to Waddington. Rang the two airfields and Wadders before I set off to announce my presence in the airspace - all ok there. After that, I just read the map and enjoyed the scenery, concentrated on getting the r/t all correct and doing the transponder codes and reporting positions when asked. It was tiring with all the concentration but very enjoyable.
Relative to another topic on flat batts, I couldn't start the engine leaving Nottingham. Thought it was hot, flooded, leads off etc etc - then I found I hadn't turned the mags on.. Embarassed

You only do it once - thankfully, no observers!

So take your confidence in your hands and do what you were taught - know you ARE in control and enjoy the experience.

FF

James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the peace and quiet was quite weird for me - like the first time you drive alone after passing your driving test! You're used to someone next to you, and it's just plain weird when there isn't. Even now, if I'm on my own, I find it odd! Confused What I end up doing, is turning the radio up, and listening to everything that's going on!

And Foxy - yes, I make silly mistakes like that - my favourite mistake is forgetting the mixture control. And you're wrong, you do do it more than once. Sad Embarassed Definately a good piece of advice is to use the check list properly! Wink

Good luck sean! Where is your QXC taking you?
seanhump
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told to plan Nottingham - Sywell - Tatenhill - Nottingham - I've done 2 of the legs (some with my instructor) - Lets hope for good weather on Monday....
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Seanhump for next Monday. Let's hope the weather will be kind to you Smile Please let us know how you get on - I would say a definite pass......

I follow all blme's students' progress and get quite involved with their solo up and down initially, then their cross-country, then their dual nav ex, onto qual nav ex etc, etc.......of course it always means that, once they have completed that particular task (and passed), they have to take their instructor (and whoever is hanging around the airfield at the time!!!! such as the airfield manager, other students, other pilots, instructors' wives etc) up to the local pub for a celebration drink (hic).......

But, very good luck for Monday.

We are away next week in Ireland so will log on as soon as we get back to see how you got on.

CW
xx

xx
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice little route - not too much radio to get in the way, until the final leg. And I'm sure you've already discovered that East Mids are pretty good.

Good luck - I may take the radio to work, and listen out for you...! (Although I doubt reception is any good in the basement.)
DavidH
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the QXC I did, lots of flight planning beforehand, studied the map a lot, phoned ahead to Sywell and Tatenhill, made sure I looked out a lot and always knew where I was on the map. Sywell was busy but very helpful as was Tatenhill and East Midlands. Immense sense of achievement afterwards. Good luck hope the weather is good for you.
seanhump
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement (spelling???) guys... (& girls) - It's confirmed for today - weather looks great.... watch this space - I'll let you know how I get on!!!

Sean
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting with baited breath! Cool

(No chance of listening out for you - not because of being in the basement, but because I left the scanner at home! Rolling Eyes )
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
not because of being in the basement, but because I left the scanner at home! Rolling Eyes )

You work in a basement too? So does WhirlyGuy! It must be terrible not being able to see the light of day! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Or does your basement have windows? Wink

WhirlyGirl Cool
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have windows, which to the exterior are at ground level - they're about 3 ft tall, and are to the ceiling in here.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky then! Poor WhirlyGuy has to work underground in the dark! lol! Well, they have artifical lighting I suppose.

Anyway, back to the topic, seanhump, best of luck with your QXC. It is something you will never forget and look forward to hearing all about it later!!

WhirlyGuy Cool
seanhump
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, the flying went pretty much without a hitch - planned the route and flew the numbers and the airfields appeared where they were supposed to be. I do wonder how long it will take for the imprint of my hand to disappear from the foam around the collective though!!!! I think I must've lost a few pounds due to nerves.
As hoped, the weather was brilliant, and apart from Sywell, there wasn't a great deal of traffic to contend with, and the machine behaved like a dream. At 2.3 hours it's the longest I've spent flying in an afternoon.
It'd be nice to fly the same route again so that I could maybe get to enjoy the view a bit more......
I now need to decide where to go for another Nav trip (as you know, you need a min of 5 hrs solo nav, and I'm not quiet there yet) - will spend a bit of time looking at the charts for a suitable location..... any suggestions???

All I can say really is WOW - like whirlygirl says - It's one you wont forget!!!
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Sean! Well done, great feeling isn't it? Great relief too!

How many hours are you short of? If it's just a bit, then here's a couple of ideas. What about Nottingham - Bottesford - Melton - Nottingham. Take in the sights of Belvoir Castle, and Waltham's TV mast? (That took me 0.7)

Another nice sight-seeing route I've done bits of, would be to fly out to the M1 (say north of Nottingham to Hucknall), track the M1 north for a bit - passing Hardwick Hall, little bit further, than pick up the Gamston VOR to Gamston, quick overhead turn, head south to Newark, and back to good old EGBN, passing Southwell racecourse and Syerston. (Actually, that's quite a large part of my GFT navigation!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: