Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Self-Fly Hire Options
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Self-Fly Hire Options Reply with quote

In your experience, which are the best ways to self-fly hire and from where? I'm not in the position to buy a helicopter, but I want to build up my time.

I have noticed it's difficult to get access to helicopters sometimes - the owners seem to need them when you've booked them, or the helis (particularly R22s) are needed for trial lessons and training. I would be interested to hear people's stories and experiences with different companies (particularly around the midlands), and how you have got on taking them away overnight, as I know some don't like this very much.

Also, if you're hiring from different places, what are the usual requirements? i.e. minimum hours, checkout with an instructor, requirements to have done safety courses etc.

WhirlyGirl Cool
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered about this too - particularly the overnight bit and also the security thing..I have fancied flying from Sheffield to my Mum's in Devon and there's loads of land by her flat to park - but would I need to hire OAW to guard the machine overnight?

Surely, if you book a heli for a sfh, that goes on the board at the airfield as a booking for G-HELI to WhirlyGirl for that allotted time and it's yours to do that with, then. Someone can't reasonably come in and say they want G-HELI for a trial flight at the same time and override your booking. I'm only quoting politeness here, I guess hard-headed business comes into play but sfh still generates income whatever.

Just my thoughts.

FF

WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a scenario I've come across is when you've had a booking in the diary for several weeks, and then at the last minute the heli they were going to use for the day's training goes tech, and they have to take the one you've booked to do the training. Maybe it was just bad luck and bad timing, but R22s are training machines and seem pretty hard to get hold of for SFH. Need to find somewhere with lots of spare ones!!

If you're taking it for a couple of days or more I guess they expect you to put alot of hours on it too, rather than a quick trip there, leaving it on the ground and then bringing it back a couple of days later.

WhirlyGirl Cool
R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do, as someone I know did, is find a machine that is hardly used, like a school that doesn't have a lot of customers, or a private owner, and make them an offer, based on the amoutn of hours you will need to do.

Other tricks people use are to offer to fly machines in for their maintenance. All you have to pay is your travel back afterwards.

If all of those fail, just talk to any school and make them an offer, and try to make sure you do the hours in a short space of time, ie. ceveral months or so, and you may get a very good offer.

The best one though is an under-used machine.

A.

heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one of these ideas........
1. Find a school that gives pilots a weekday off (bit too far for u), but for example Denham only has 2 of 3 instructors flying on a Monday
2. Part time schools.....Panshanger(again too far for u) only instruct Thur-Sun
As a primary trainer in high demand the R22 is always going to be difficult to book for sfh...R44's are not that easy to hire either as a number of people are training direct on 44's these days.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy East Midlands Helicopters are pretty flexible when it comes to booking helicopters; I've never been inconvenienced by a heli not being available. Taking a heli away for an extended period of time, one would be expected to fly x hours (I think it works out to be about 1 hour a day, but I suspect that's changeable depending on negotiation and their work load); which I'm sure is the same as many other operators.

Also, I believe there are a couple of extra helicopters that then can "call on" from local owners to fill in gaps.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative options for me would be Wolverhampton, Sywell, or Costock I suppose. Shobdon is a bit far. Why don't they have a heli school in Birmingham? Sad

WhirlyGirl Cool
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost I know is a consideration for you. Just doing a tiny bit of looking around the web this morning, and EMH do appear to be one of the cheapest for SFH R22 at the moment (or at least among those that publish prices online).
R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costock would be a good place to start, as they have a few machines there....however, I often find that being a pest and asking around is the best way.....and if you ask at Costock, they know a lot of owners and operators due to the fact they do maintenance.

You should also talk to other maintenance places, as they may be able to put you in touch with someone.

You could also look up all the R22's on G-INFO and write to them all!!!

One guy I know, rented G-FLYH from AV8 Helicopters at Manston. I guess they've been struggling recently due to the closure of Manston, and they were also talking about selling off FLYH too. If you get in touch with them, they may be interested in letting you have the machine for an extended period, as I'm sure they need the money, and it doesn't get used too much anyway. It's not a bad machine either.

However, make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing with these people, as I'm aware of a number of situations where they have moved the goal posts on people, leaving them to pay more than they expected in the end.

A.

Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT, I was driving between West Leake and Keyworth on Thursday last around 11 am and there was what looked like an Agusta 109 circling around the A60 - perhaps landing at Costock?

Couldn't see a reg as it dipped below trees soon after I spotted it.

FF

Last edited by Flying Foxy on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think that'll be G-EMHB, an Agusta 109E Power that arrived in Costock in March/April time. Is this the one you saw, then?

(also picture on East Midlands Helicopters' homepage)

It's not often actually at Costock, because it's currently too big for the hangars there, so it lives nearby.

Last edited by James T Lowe on Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that'll be the one - same paint job and the undercart was down too so I guessed coming in for a landing..

Thanks!

FF

James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic looking machine isn't it? The interior is very "executive" - lots of lovely soft leather. Well, you wouldn't expect anything else from such a machine would you? I'm told it's very smooth to fly. (One day, I might find out for myself.. Rolling Eyes )

muffin
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a training operation somewhere that has a "spare" R22. Then find yourself a local barn to keep it in where it will be secure. Offer the owner/operator a block of hours (at a discounted rate) paid in cash up front to have it for the winter when they are not very busy, with the proviso that if they need it they can immediately grab it back. I did this last year and wound up with an R22 to play with from October to February. Trouble was that I got so used to having it around that when it was recalled I missed it so much that I had to buy one myself!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: