HeliTorque Forum Index » EMS, SAR & Law Enforcement

Response Times Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the flight review in the Pilot magazine of the A109 Grand, states the easy start of sequence.

Something like
Rotorbrake Off
Battery/ Bus on
Engine selector switches to idle.

That wonderful FADEC does all the rest.
the other Saturday I had a quick look in a A109 and the engine selector switches are between the seats just left of the collective on the centre panel. Don't know whether there is enough power in the battery to start both engines together.

The switches are then turned to flight for takeoff. The review states no warm up or cool down is needed. The engine throttle levers are rarely used.
The review also states that 45 secs happens providing all preflights are carried out before. Apparently with everything on the main panel draws about 60amps, wouldn't take long to flatten the battery.

I guess the use of ground power would give a cleaner engine start and have the EFIS' on already.

Anyone passing Didcot in a new A109 pls let me know

Martin
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a thread rebourne but thought i might as well stick in my 2 cents.

Im based in the tower at Coventry so see both the helimeds operating WNAA, They are both Powers' the newer one G-MEDS (predominantly yellow) is only just coming up to its quick start up times, its actually been a worse aircraft despite being newer, minus the EMS kit on board which is clearly going to be better the aircraft itself in terms of performance and handling is not quite as good and is much less prefered over the slightly older G-WNAA (yellow with purple tail), which is slightly faster and i think just more broken in.

Due to their position the pilot dispatches as soon as he hears a general location, the paramedics take the rest of the call while he runs out (helimed pad sits directly opposite the RFFS where the crew are based, he starts it up and the paramedics check the large maps on the wall and copy the details down before following the pilot 30seconds to a minute or two later.

Morning checks are done before the first jobs come in and when it comes to winding her up from watching the pilot run out, he jumps in flicks on the switches and it pretty much runs through its own startup proceedure, he is often putting his helmet on and his seatbelt while the helicoptor is starting. He easily does this in 45-50 seconds, by the time hes strapped in and the helo is running the paramedics have just come out he gives them the thumbs up and they jump in. He normally calls for start just as the paramedics are jumping in and tells us his general out bound direction, once they are strapped in and tell him exactly where he needs to go he must plug it in the GPS and gives us a heading (this last bit depends on how long they spend planning their route before they lift)

So the helo is generally running in under a minute and once the paramedics are on which is usually by 2 mins, he usually lifts unless they are discussing a routing.

Hope that sheds some insight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » EMS, SAR & Law Enforcement All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: