Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Attack, Recon & Special Ops

New Defence helicopters unsafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: New Defence helicopters unsafe Reply with quote

A report by the Australian Audit Office shows the Defence Force's fleet of 22 Tiger helicopters are under-powered and unsafe.

The Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) ordered the Tiger Armed Reconnaissance Helicopters from Eurocopter International Pacific in 2001, at a cost of $1.58 billion.

That has since blown out to almost $2 billion.

The helicopters were meant to be in service by 2004 to provide battlefield reconnaissance and air support for troops under attack, but none are yet in the air.

The audit report details a series of deficiencies in the helicopters' capabilities and how much it will cost to make them serviceable.

Three of the helicopters have been found to be wanting in 14 of 15 contractual areas, covering weapons systems, software and airworthiness.

The Federal Opposition's defence spokesman, Robert McClelland, says the report shows areas of significant concern.

"Engine power, very significantly; crash survivability, obviously a great concern; ability to fly over water for any extended period and also, as I understand it, reach," he said.

Mr McClelland says the deal points to a pattern of bad management by the DMO.

"This is, on our reckoning, about the 17th program that's been over-budget and overtime," he said.

"We're now talking about very significant acquisitions.

"There's naive optimism that, if you like, the authorities seem to be infected by when it comes to acquiring very sophisticated military technology."

A spokesman for Defence Minister Brendan Nelson says the deficiencies are being rectified by the contractor at no cost.

But he adds there may be further delays.

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
bug
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: 58 Community Reply with quote

I can only imagine. Seeing as we are in a transistion period I find it ironic that you are having similar problems to what we have had since the Inception of the 58 community. The best I can say is that the mechanics and Pilots soon recognized the problems and worked through all of them in the best of the worst ways and made it happen. We made it happen on a shoe string budget on this whole project and have a depth of understanding of the capabilities of our little airplane that is irreprehensable to most. We made the this project work. If we can do it you can too.
bug
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can a Helicopter reach production and be under-powered? Is it since the addition of ordnance and increase in AUW?

Seems odd - then the scale of 22 being in the same situation..

FF

bug
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Foxy wrote:
How can a Helicopter reach production and be under-powered? Is it since the addition of ordnance and increase in AUW?

Seems odd - then the scale of 22 being in the same situation..

FF

Thats easy, it is a cycle of money (POM cylcle), and some chiefs changing there minds in the middle of a bidding cycle...Choice of engine and economy was forefronted, but then someone in the middle of the cylce asks...hmm can't we do this and make it better, and the next guy steps in and says "yeh it is capable of that too" on and on and before you know it you have a MGW helo walking out the door. Were is Roy when you need him? (inside Joke)
bug
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually disapointed with some of the company's that exist in this world. Instead of seeing a vision and delivering a product they themselves allow changes to happen to advent or what you might say impress the purchaser. I think that is not a customer care issue.
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customer Service is a term that many of the worlds top aerospace manufacturers, helicopter included, need to learn the meaning of.

Ned

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
mastercylinder
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may ladies and gentlemen...

I agree that the manufacturers should have a little pride in what they produce and the follow on care of the customer should be of a high quality, BUT...

The problem is that the military are really AWFUL at contracts! We sign the first thing that falls in front of us and when, 12 to 18 months later, the product is delivered (exactly as required by the contract but different than we THOUGHT it would be) we feel hard done by. I feel the pain of my military brothers and sisters...God knows the Australian Defence Force has gotten into some pickles in the last few years...but we can't keep making the same DUMB mistakes and blaming it on the contractors.

As discussed above, whilst a contract may be signed, what subsequently happens to the aircraft before delivery (add weapons, external tanks, extra engines, fuzzy dice, sheepskin seat covers) when the thing arrives it can turn out to be underpowered based on the new configuration.

Bottom line is that unless we pull our thumbs out, we're going to keep finding ourselves on the south end of a north bound horse (in the crap)...its just unfair to blame it all on the aircraft manufacturer, don't you think?

Over to you my fellow aircrew.

MC
DAP_Guy
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should tell those Hosers that they want their money back and spend it on a squadron of armed versions of the Blackhawk. Battle proven and sexy as hell... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Attack, Recon & Special Ops All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: