Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Questions on American Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stealth_jared555
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Questions on American Schools Reply with quote

Hello HeliTorque Community,

My name is Jared, and I had a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me out with.

I have always been interested in helicopters, and I am considering more and more receiving training. But I don't know the routes or how to go about this. I pretty much don't know anything about the process. I'm currently active duty US Army, but not sure if I want to go the military route. So my questions are;

1. What are some solid, good quality schools in America, or what is a good website that I can use for a springboard on finding them myself.

2. What is the basic requirements of ultimately me being able to go and fly by myself.

3. How much does it cost for all the training, material, etc. for me to fly by myself.

4. Do civilian agencies usually provide military discounts?

5. (For those who know US Army policy) Is there any benefit or advantage in having a civilian license, to try and go through WOFT (other than knowing how to fly).

Sorry for the newbish questions, everyones gotta start somewheres I guess. And if they are incoherent, or if your confused on what I mean, please ask, because it's late, I'm tired, and I have another Hooah day ahead of me haha.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
-Jared
FanPilot
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was over in USA, I started off with US Helicopters at Longbeach. I believe they are no longer around, but one of the pilots spun off (pun intended) his own school, also at Long Beach called Rotorvation. (Longbeach is near LA)

However, my situation changed. The school in the UK where I had paid up front were not sending money through to the US school. I had to move and I moved to another good school at John Wayne airport, Orange County (California). This was called Helistream.

You can search google for both of them, I don't have the URLs.

The CFI is an ex mil pilot. Have a chat with him. (His name is Rod, though I can't remember his last name. His wife is also a pilot).
I was the English person that was there in late 1999 and took my FAA CFI.

If you want PPL, then you have to have a medical (Class 3 I think for PPL). You will also have had to take some exams (not sure on the FAA system).

Hope this helps.
NoordzeeCowboy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can and you fit the profile, go down the military route. You will gain so much experience. And a big plus is apart from a few years of your life it will cost you nothing and you will get paid to do it! You never know you might even enjoy combat flying, i know i did.............. Smile
stealth_jared555
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since my last post. I have decided to try the civilian route, and prepare for the military side as well. There is a flight school near my duty station that give TA for service members. I'm going to hopefully start that in the next class offering. I am also taking the Army AFAST in the next month to start putting my Warrant Officer packet together. The goal is to fly in the military, but I still want to try it on the civilian side first.
stealth_jared555
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update. I start Ground School in two weeks at a nearby community college, and flight training in the winter or spring. I am very excited! One of my buddies and I are also assembling our Warrant Officer Flight Training packets, so that we can try to fly for the Army. Things are kicking off! I will definitely be on here more often for help, advice, questions, etc.

Hooah!
-Jared
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Training Reply with quote

Keep in mind that civilian training is costly and unless you are able to fly frequently each week, will take more time.

Military training is fast paced, excellent, fly often and learn much.
Also, on the civilian side, you start in a trainer (A Robey or Schweizer). From there you pay to move up to larger or tubine helos. In the military, you go as fast as they want you from trainer to mission size ships for the same dime.

If you don't mind giving Uncle Sam some of your youth, it is the best way to go.

Some of the best helo pilots I know, came out of the military. They are a bit more daring than I, but that is the bravado. Laughing

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: