Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments

Signature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancsman
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Signature Reply with quote

I notice that when a person updates their signature it change all their previous post as well as all new posts. This make reading some of the archives very confusing when the sig says the person is a FI(H) but they are asking learner questions.

Is it posible to freeze the sig block with the posting to put the posts/question in more of a context.

Cheers

Mark
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark (Very good name by the way Wink )

My name's Mark too so I would say that though!!

As one of the Admin here I have to say that I am not aware of a way of doing what you are asking. On nearly every single forum this is unfortunately the way that signatures work so that you can update a little bit of global information about yourself.

As this is stored in a global database field where there is in fact just the one per user then this is currently not possible. The only way to have any kind of footer information stick with what is actually written is for the poster / user to actually write that information in with their post.

Sorry but unfortunately that's just the way the forum works I'm afraid and I don't know of an easy way to hack something like that into it.

We are going to be updating the whole of this site and the forums some time in the near future and as such the whole site will gain a complete face-lift and have many many new exciting features added in. At the moment we are running on an exceptionally old variant of the Nuke software which is terribly difficult to maintain and update in an easy fashion. When we do update we will be converting the whole system across to a brand new Content Management System which in my eyes (I've used it for everything I do nowadays) is simply the best CMS in its class and beats just about everything else above its class too! Wink

This isn't something which we can just switch across though as we need to find an easy way to convert all the existing forum posts on this system so that they can be easily added into the new system. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart!! Wink

With the new system as well it will be a global signature I'm afraid and the only thing I can suggest is if people write that kind of information into posts such as you mentioned so that you can see what they were at the time and then their signature shows you what they are now.

Sorry about that. Hope this explains it clearly though.

Speak to you soon.

Best wishes,

WhirlyGuy
(Mark)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: