Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events

10th Anniversary Abingdon Air & Country Show Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: 10th Anniversary Abingdon Air & Country Show Reply with quote

Hi
the 10th Abingdon Air & Country Show will be taking place on May 3rd 2009 at Abingdon airfield,Dalton Barracks.For the third consecutive year we will be supporting the Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance,currently based at RAF Benson,near Wallingford.

We are looking for support from local and national businesses/organisations to help us generate as much funding as possible for this vital emergency asset.
One area of help we are particularly looking for at the moment is a donation of prize(s) for our raffle which is held whenever our Sales/Publicity Stall is out and about.
Donations can be as "product/service" or as a voucher for same...if you can help please e-Mail me at smithoag@aol.com for postal address details for any donations

All and any support given will be gratefully and publicly acknowledged.

If you would be interested in having a Trade Stall at our event next May or having an advert in our programme please keep checking the web-site as details should be available at the turn of the year 2008/2009

Here's hoping you feel you can support us and help Abingdon Air & Country Show to help the Air Ambulance to help you

many thanks for reading this message
Colin Smith

Oxfordshire Aviation Group
www.communigate.co.uk/oxford/oag

Abingdon Air & Country Show...
the ONLY airshow in Oxfordshire without a gap in 21st Century
www.abingdonfayre.com
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abingdon Air & Country Charity Show
Abingdon Airfield / Dalton Barracks, Oxon
Sunday 3rd May 2009
Public Open times: 10am –5.00pm

Supporting the
Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance

This 10th anniversary show includes Vintage Vehicles, Crafts, Static Aircraft, Steam Machinery, Trade Stalls, Arena Displays, Flying Displays to the popular Dr Who Daleks and Tardis, and Tank Rides!

Enquiries
Aviation / Enquiries: neilsevent@aol.com / 07756 258892
Trade / Craft Stalls / Enquiries: andyandsuep@aol.com /
T: 01235 529142
Vintage Vehicle bookings: Adrian.33@hotmail.co.uk /
07840 503047
abingdonshowclassics@hotmail.co.uk /
01865 340329
Sponsorship / Press: Malcolm.ashby@uk.bp.com /
07759 076307
smithoag@aol.com / 07749 219001

Public admission prices will be at the 2008 rate of £10 per adult,£5 per child(5-15yrs) and Senior Citizens
Advance tickets should again be available early in the New Year from the website: www.abingdonfayre.com
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Abingdon Air & Country Show in Oxfordshire is seeking companies interested in sponsoring their next event in May 2009.

To be staged at Abingdon Airfield (Dalton Barracks), the event will combine a spectacular flying display featuring aircraft old and new as well as numerous ground attractions including exhibitions, displays and family entertainment.

Conveniently located just off the A34, and within short travelling distance of the M4 and M40, the show’s catchment area includes the Thames Valley, Chilterns and the Cotswolds.

Visitors cut across a wide range of social groups and ages, ranging from affluent retired people to flourishing, settled and secure families and aircraft enthusiasts.

In 2008 the show attracted support from Air BP, UKAEA and Hewden Hire.

A number of sponsorship opportunities are available including support of show features such as flying displays, ground attractions and event facilities.

For further information about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Malcolm Ashby. Telephone: 01932 768696 (Daytime), 01494 481524 (Evening) or email: ashbym@bp.com
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our publicity stall will be out 'n' about at three local Xmas Street Fayres over the next couple of weeks or so;-

25th Nov Abingdon(High St,near HSBC bank)
27th Nov Didcot(Broadway,near Broadways PH)
4th Dec Wallingford(Regal Centre,off Goldsmiths Lane)

If you live within easy reach of any of these towns pop along and seek us out to say "Hi!!!" and make sure you buy your AACS Xmas Raffle Ticket

Colin
Abingdon Air & Country Show
www.abingdonfayre.com

Oxfordshire Aviation Group

............& now a message from The Boss,Neil Porter

Hi all, well our planning is coming along nicely, with what we hope will be varied show once again both in the air & on the ground and abit bigger than the 2008 show, already we are taking alot of bookings / enquiries.!

As far as the Flying Display is concerned, the first few displays have now been confirmed, as follows:

North American T28 Fennec (Martin Willing)
The Dukes of Cassutt 3 ship display Team (F1 racing aircraft)
Hawker Hurricane "Hurribomber" - First public appearance (Peter Teichman) & a coup for us.

As always these will be operating out of the airfield as do most of our display aircraft on the day..

Please bear in mind that we still have limited budgets and so we will do our best to provide an entertaining display program with what we have available (funds wise).

I hope for once again some support from the RAF, and invitations have gone out to five Overseas Air Arms so will wait and see in the New Year.

One thing i am also looking at to help make our tenth show special, is to somehow get the funding for the first possible 09 appearance of the Vulcan, and so any suggestions on any companies that might be able to help sponsor an appearance with us then please pm me...
We are on the 'request list' and so my aim is to turn that into a confirmation... tho it will be tough going & will try our best as i / we know its a long shot - no doubt securing its appearance would in turn bring in more people, in turn generating more funds for the Thames Valley Air Ambulance. So please keep an eye on our website for updates.

My two Press / Sponsorship guys Colin & Malcolm will from now on post updates as and when we see fit to do so..who coupled with Mark Broadbent are doing their best to try and attract companies to help sponsor items etc etc.

All i hope for is a repeat of 2005's weather - warm & sunny!!!

Cheers
Neil
Abingdon Organiser
www.abingdonfayre.com

10th anniversary show - 3rd May 09
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Abingdon Reply with quote

oagey,

No disrespect meant but.... Your hard work on the posts is appreciated. I don't speak for others, but my ancient eyes get overloaded with a lot of reading.

Maybe you should consider a "brief" description next time with the links.
I have found that "too much" is not always better and people tend not to read long paragraphs.

However, I hope that the Abingdon fair goes well. I wish we had more get-togethers like that here in the US.

PS: I did read all of your posts. It obviously took much of your time to do. Very Happy
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afterburner

many thanks for your thoughts matey...& fear not,no offence taken

cheers
Colin
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oagey wrote:
Afterburner

many thanks for your thoughts matey...& fear not,no offence taken

cheers
Colin

Thanks Very Happy
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message from Neil...........

It is quite a real possibility that the Defence Estates may hike our 'hire fee' for the airfield yet again in a big way, to which may make the show impossible to run ie: being cancelled due to the total amount of running it! Obviously i don't want to see this happen especially surviving this long with all the blood, sweat & tears etc etc associated in organising it all, but with a smallish budget i have to be realistic.

I make no bones in that it costs us £7K alone just for the hire of the airfield for this annual charity show.

I have my own views on this but can i please have your views either via PM or on here...
Thanks
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr i don't get it?
If the shows for charity and not for profit, then why is the airfield not donated for the day? Is it to cover a percentage of the airfields workers wages??? Firecover? Insurance? ATC? Stewards?
If it moves i want a go
rotorcraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have expected the site to be provided at no cost, or "at cost" for a charity event. Has "at cost" really taken a hike in a single year? Or over a number of years ... your "again" suggests not.

Hope you don't have to cancel - was hoping to be there this year having missed last. Good luck!

RC
oagey
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalsticks wrote:
errr i don't get it?
If the shows for charity and not for profit, then why is the airfield not donated for the day? Is it to cover a percentage of the airfields workers wages??? Firecover? Insurance? ATC? Stewards?

Even though we are a charity event the MoD do NOT donate the airfield for the day....the figure quoted is purely for the hiring of the airfield.
Fire cover,insurance,ATC etc are all extras to funded by AACS,while ALL the "workers" on the airfield over the weekend are voluunteers who give up their free time and in some cases their Annual Leave from work.
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand i feel 7 grand for a whole airfield for a day isn't a lot, however on the other hand it seems a bit steep considering the event and cause. Surely Abingdon can use the publicity?
I read Loop newspaper often who support events like this. Maybe try there.
Hurricane sounds good. Hope you get the vulcan too Very Happy
If it moves i want a go
lancsman
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my previous expereince when in HM Forces the cost of using military facilities went up when Crown immunity was lost to cover the cost of third party insurance.

Also most units are run as a cost centre so the Officer commanding has to justify any costs to the unit. No an ecuse but a reason. You could start a public pertition on the number 10 website to get the show for free or nominal cost. If you start one let me know I'll sign.

Mark
orange arm waver
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is I'm under impression that insurance for the event is found by the committee and the aircraft fly in with the appropriate insurance so ow can the crown use the cost in such a way - Perhaps I am not reading it right.

The Garrison don't really get involved with the event either.

As an ex-MoD person I find it scandellous how much they charge especially as in many ways the airfield is clapped out (and that is a professional opinion) and there is no infrastucture for the show people to use - I know I am one! As it is some of the maintenance that has been carried out was done by the show people. If you had seen the pan where the UH-60 was parked las year 24 hours before arrival you'd not believe it.

I for one hope that it happens.

ATVB
G

Another day, another application...
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with O.A.W. that the site isn't exactly fantastically well kept and for £7,000 I would personally be expecting a little more especially as it is essentially a dis-used airfield.

If people can't bring down their costs for charity then I personally don't know what the world is coming to. We are always making radio adverts here for charities and a lot of the time do so for free. I say free but we have to pay the voices out of our own pocket. Just wish the MOD / government could do the same in this instance. Here's hoping anyway.

WhirlyGuy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: