New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 613
Members: 0
Total: 613

HeliTorque :: View topic - First Flight!!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

First Flight!! Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: First Flight!! Reply with quote

So I finally got around to having a trial flight in a R22 Very Happy It wasn't really expected, so it was a great surprise!

I telephoned EMH to ask to have a look around their site and they said i'd be able to have a look and hopefully have a chat with an instructor who was due back around 1600'ish.

After a good drive of around a hour I arrived. The instructor had just got back and after a chat and introductions I was asked if i'd like to go up (and down!) for a quick trial.

I did explain that i'd never flown before at all, not even as a passenger, never even been out of the country!! Well i've wanted to do this flying thing for long enough so I was eager to have a go.

I now know why you guys and girls are so enthusiastic about helicopters Very Happy Very Happy It was a bit "bumpy". but I did get a quick go at some of the main controls. I managed a few turns and kept the horizon fairly level. After about 30 minutes or so we headed back and I had a quick go at hovering - just the cyclic Laughing Laughing ....."you have control"....!!!!!!!""I have control" Laughing ..........."lets try again"......."you have control"....... Laughing well most of you know what I mean. FUN! or what!!!!?????

....and then the instructor landed the heli (he would have had too Rolling Eyes ) I would have crashed it! It was my first time in the air EVER! Back to the office, another chat and pay up. I didn't mind at all. Very Happy

So I got the bug! and it's all your faults Laughing Booked in for this Thursday and getting the medical sorted ASAP.

Will keep you posted!

Best regards to all,

Top Cat Very Happy Very Happy *still smiling*
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Look forward to the empty bank account, sleepless nights and of course LOTS more fun!

W.
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughingLaughing Congratulations!! Here's to much more flying Very Happy
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done TC! Glad you enjoyed it! Who was the instructor?
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
Well done TC! Glad you enjoyed it! Who was the instructor?

The instructor was Jan (Chief Flying Instructor and Commercial Pilot), nice guy Very Happy

TC
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoooo!! Crikey.....I just noticed I got a heli now below my name..thanks Admin Very Happy

TC
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Day 2 - .7 Ex4 / .6 Ex5 Total = 1.3 Reply with quote

My second day (proper first lesson). Weather was great, clear blue skies and sunny.

I'll skip the driving bits Rolling Eyes but around a hour or so each way covers it Smile
Arrived just after 1200 for lesson at 1230. Had a brief and was shown the initial checking of the R22 (it was missing a door!-not my side so not to worried Laughing ) Lots of things to take in, but i'm not expecting it to be easy. I was then left to carry out a check on my own and the door was replaced.

Instuctor got us into the air and then it was over to me again Very Happy first exercise - keep it straight, level and at a constant speed. This will take a little time, but I expect you've all been there and had the same thoughts.
Made a few turns and changes in height and speed and the back for a de-brief.

A quick refuel (for me and the heli) and then back up for the same exercise. I felt it was much better this time (i'd recommend going up again straight away if funds allow). I think the instructor was fairly pleased and confident that i'd be continuing the course - he'd filled in a log book for me anyway Very Happy

Booked in again for tomorrow - Friday 10th!

TopCat Very Happy
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Day 3 - 1.1 Ex5 Total = 2.4 Reply with quote

Good weather today, although a little "bumpy" at times in the wind. Continued with straight and level flying with left and right turns, maintaining the relative speed. I feel like i'm doing this quite well for a beginner, just need to remember the balancing of the heli with my feet!!

Changes of speed Very Happy Instructor seems to be happy with my acceleration most of the time. I seem to be okay accelerating from 60 to 80 Very Happy it's the slowing down from 80 to 60 which still has me "stumped" for now!! Frustrating for sure!! Very Happy Instructor is very good and patient which is appreciated.

I finally managed a good change from 80 to 60 (don't ask me how Laughing )so we ended the lesson on that small achievement. Let's hope I can do it next time? I know I need to master this basic procedure and sure it'll come eventually.

All tips welcomed Very Happy

Regards,

Topcat Very Happy
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcat,

Sounds like you're really getting into it now! It certainly has been lovely the last couple of days. I was out with two new students today and yesterday and they were doing the same exercise you are on. It's all down to practice and patience! You will get the hang of it - I'm sure you instructor will be able to pinpoint exactly how you can improve your attitude change when slowing down.

When you're at the beginning of the course it just takes a bit of time to get use d to the attitudes for the various speeds, but it will come, don't worry.

Have fun and enjoy every minute. I hope this weather holds out - we're trying to get to the Pyrenees next week (one seat left if anyone wants to come and do some R44 flying!!). I'll start a new thread about that if we manage to get there. Hope to have lots of awesome pics to post up.

Sarah
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the re-assuring comments WhirlyGirl Smile My Instructor tells me that i'll get "fed up" of hearing that "A" word!! Laughing Let's hope it comes together soon and I can move on to the next step.

Hope you have a great weekend and good weather for your trip next week - sounds great fun! Very Happy Look forward to the pics!

Regards,

TopCat Very Happy
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Day 4 - 1.0 Ex 5 / 1.1 Ex 6 Total = 4.5 Reply with quote

Another good day, some light wind and a few spots of rain at times.

Consolidated Ex5 (Straight and level flight with changes of speed from 60-80-60). More left and right turns and maintaining a heading. Instructor pleased (or seemed to be Very Happy ) with my progress. Still a long way to go, but I am now slowing the thing down. Had a few small attempts at the hover Laughing .....you have control.....here comes the hedge!!!!.....I have control Laughing ...back to the hover and another repeat of the same.

Instructor parked up the R22 and we went inside for a de-brief and a look at the next exercise.

So, back into the air for more of Ex 5 and Ex 6. Starting at 60, accelerate to 80 (maintain 1000ft) and then climb to 1500ft at 60, level off, back to 80 and then descend at 60 back to 1000ft, level off and back up to 80.

Lot's of thinking to do, but i'm getting there!! Still tend to go either a little too fast or too slow at times, but I am improving and getting a feel for whats happening around me.

Returned to EMH for another few goes at the hover and although i'm no where able to maintain the position I am improving each time!

R22 parked up and back for a quick de-brief (fill in logbook).

Straight out again and this time i'm flying their new shiny JetRanger!!!!! Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy .........Just kidding Laughing just thought it would get your attention if you've read this far Very Happy

Credit card handed over and debited, booked in for the day this Thursday!

As always, all tips, comments and views welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Very Happy
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're making good progress. You're at a very similar stage to me. I'll be flying on Thursday too Laughing
JeffHall
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be in the wrong job...

I'm self employed and even I'd struggle to fly during the week without justifying it to my client as to why I wasn't available!

Its simply to expensive a risk to take days out not knowing if the Wx will be good or bad and then not earn anything that day...

As it is, my current client thinks they're pretty much sponsoring my PPL(H) as its all I talk about at work Very Happy

Please advise me how I get the sort of job that lets me fly during the week without getting a CPL

Jeff Hall
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just using up my annual leave. I can't afford to go on holiday and learn to fly, so I may as well. I tend to take Thursday or Friday afternoons off for an hour's lesson.

Edited to add: I get more of a discount flying during the week as opposed to weekends, so it's worth doing while I've got the holiday left. I also work the occasional weekend and have to take the time off in lieu which gives me a few extra hours to play with during the week.
McBad
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I ditched my last job part way through doing my PPL and decided to postpone getting a new one until I'd completed the flying training. That said quite a few days when I was employed and 'working from home' I was actually working from the breifing room at the flight school; wireless broadband is a wonderful thing.

It was becoming obvious that there would be no way I could fly during the week and hold down a normal job and choose my slots to match up with the weather and get the ppl within a sensible time scale... Some other things also combined to kick the job into touch; for example there's a limit to how many Premier Inns I want to arrive at in the small hours of the morning.

So, PPL complete I'm now back in the job market and need to find something fast if I'm going to carry on flying (and eating come to that! Smile ). Unfortunately judging from the stream of gloom pouring from Evan Davies and John Humphries every morning this last few weeks I haven't timed it very well.

Working and flying and money are always going to be a difficult three balls for most people to keep in the air at once.

M.

(PS, throw in a fourth ball 'non-flying wife' and the juggle becomes almost impossible! Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: