HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

training times Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill email my instructor, he has a alpha eagle i believe and ill ask him what impedance and plug he has (he's on 22's 44's and a 206 a majority of the week) and hopefully have an answer here soon! this site i found is very helpful! helicopterhelmet.com shows all different kinds of helmets and different options available, probably possible to email them with questions as well!
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea matey, i know you can get adapters for different plugs later on but best to get the right one for the job at the start!
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i talked to my instructor, he said he ordered his helmet through helicopterhelmet.com and left an email saying he was going to be flying 22's, 44's, and a 206! they said no problem and sent him his helmet and it works just fine!
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that seems pretty simple, much simpler than trying to work out what options you tick, like high impedance, flex boom mic with 150ohm resistance and a 194.15.6 standard plug?!?!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you get your call sign painted on the front? Wink
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe yea the factory do paint them, expensive though for custom paint.

I could get WindSwept on the back!

Gloss blue i think!
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be a silly question! so sorry in advance, but do you get a call sign during training? particularly while attending a flight school? It'd be cool no doubt
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
this might be a silly question! so sorry in advance, but do you get a call sign during training? particularly while attending a flight school? It'd be cool no doubt

Only when your in the Military are 'official' callsigns given to you.

If you call them official. In the US mil they get callsigns which they get through their training and they are often painted on the side of their particular aircraft. In the UK this doesnt happen as much i don't think.

When i applied for the RAF my nickname/callsign was Skywalker which you get i spose just between the buddies who are on the same course as you. But then thats been a nick name ive had through school.

It has now evolved tho - to windswept lol.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windswept are you former RAF? haha sounds like you know your stuff!
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha no i wish. Im only 19.

I applied to the RAF went through the 6-9 month aircrew/officer selection process to become a pilot, including many interviews, medicals, application forms for various things, i attended officer and aircrew selection at the collage in cranwell and spent the 3 days there doing the selection process such as teambuilding challanges and basically being watched by like big brother wherever you went. Then was extremely fortunate to get a place on the final course which a very very small percentage actually get. Then two weeks before start date of initial officer training i got a lovely letter from the MoD to inform me that i no longer met new medical requirments i would have to restart my application from day 1 walking into the careers office when i met the new medical rules (which ment a year, i was disqualified for having pneomonia 3 years ago - when i applied it was fine, subsequently they raised it to 4 years) it turned out they had too many people and cut several by raising medical standards. And recently a friend just got cut through the same shitty process.

When your all down there though you bond with all the chaps you would end up on a course with and people get their nicknames right from day 1. Wish i had made it though, its the sort of life i would have loved!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you give it another go?
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say you should man! thats a chance to get some unreal experience!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that getting a letter 2 weeks before you're due to start is very harsh Sad
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wont now, it took a frigging lot of hard work, when you walk in the careers office on day 1 they basically start by telling you theres no chance (they really put you down) say theres too much competition and only 2% of people who walk in a careers office to do it will actually get on a course. You have to pass several interviews at the careers office and learn everything about the RAF, every aircraft they currently use and its specs, what its used for, you have to know each base and what they operate and why they exist, you need to know future aircraft etc, all different roles, ranks, current and past operations all over the world, also need to be spot on on your current affairs, like reading the newspapers every single day and researching anything to do with the military and forming your own opinions and they give you a real grilling on it, you have to attend seminars and such and then get recommended after a final formal interview at the careers centre then they will put you forward for CONSIDERATION to attend the selection centre at Cranwell, If you get there your lucky enough, thats 3 days i think it was of constant big brother monitoring - from stepping foot on the base your being evaluated, including when the days over and your chilling in the mess its all being watched to see how you interact with the others etc... Then you've got the hanger which is basically a huge hanger with all sorts of exercises from being team leader to being a follower to planning and written exercises, aptitude tests and then a final formal interview where they grill you totally about everything to see how much effort you've put in. Its a fantastic but extremely difficult process and hence it takes 6-9 months just to get to the point i got only to have it thrown back in your face, i was pissed seriously.

Now i work in air traffic control and am learning to fly under my own means, its not the life that i wanted because i really wanted to join up to the RAF but its a damn site better and has so many pluses that it doesnt seem worth going to apply again.
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention all the physical training you have to do, you have to be physcially fit and if you get through selection you go to do your physical aptitiude tests which is pretty high for pilot.

And you can't do the physical training when you know you've got through Cranwell you have to start that from day 1 walking into the centre to be up to scratch in time. I was running and cycling every day not to mention all the sit ups/push ups etc.. Its not really the physical selection your training for you see, if you pass that (standards are not that bad really if you have any level of fitness) but if you do get through when you start your course you've got another physical assessment which is ALOT harder so you could be lulled into thinking you walked to the physical selection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: