New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 546
Members: 0
Total: 546

HeliTorque :: View topic - best ratings!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

best ratings! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: best ratings! Reply with quote

Calgary (where i live) is a city fairly close to the rocky mountains! because of this my school offers a mountain rating. Would it be beneficial for me to get this type of rating? Along with the mountain training, the school offers a night course and water bucket. In the future ide like to see myself possibly flying police heli's or air ambulance! for the time being it looks like i could get a gig for a news heli or air taxi for the oil sands. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Logan
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: best ratings! Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
..... my school offers a mountain rating. Along with the mountain training, the school offers a night course and water bucket.

I think the mountain course would be excellent, not only from a safety aspect for you, but will look great on a job resume. As for night, you should be learning to fly at night anyway, so this does not seem necessary. However, the bucket training is a nice to have "add-on" if you have the cash. I don't know how much they would charge you, but if it compares to a turbine transition, I would go that way instead.

Any additional rating or experience helps you in the job market. It is up to you to decide which one is more necessary at your point in time. If operators in your area use the light helicopter with the bucket in operations, then take the bucket, but if they use the bucket with turbines more, then do the transition first.

Make yourself "appealing" to the market in which you want to operate.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly! in my course im adding on a 10 hour B206 turbine endorsement! so that'll have me covered for the turbine side of things, none the less i see what you mean, i may worrie about this more towards the end on training!
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Training Reply with quote

Logan,

Keep in mind that goals can be adjusted. Just don't loose site of them. Laughing
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha ill keep that in mind! thanks AB, what are you doing these days? are you an instructor? Pilot? Thanks for being extremely helpful and patient! Im told by friends that lots of forum (excluding aviation ones) are pretty hostile!
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: ratings Reply with quote

I am still instructing and semi retired from commercial operations/flying.
I am a Public Speaker now for aviation safety, and lecture often during the year in the US.

I still love to take up the 300 for pleasure flying, and more of my flying now is the pure fun of it. (as if it were any different for the past 35 years. Laughing )

I would not say that forums are "hostile", but sometimes their members can be a bit "intense". Laughing

Glad to help.

Last edited by afterburner on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats awesome AB! glad to know im talking to a complete pro! wish i could say i have the thousands of hours like you do! Any advice you could give that can help steer me in the direction that you took?
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostile?! Look at the name of the site. Does it begin with a double P?!

Naaa, we're not hostile. Cool Very Happy Very Happy
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
Hostile?! Look at the name of the site. Does it begin with a double P?!

Naaa, we're not hostile. Cool Very Happy Very Happy

How about "extra-ordinarily dedicated"?

LOGAN,

First, hours are built one at a time. As your career progresses, many paths will be opened to you. Gain experience. It is worth more than hours. They are not the same. You might try instructing at first, then move into charter flights, then maybe into medivac or oil rigs.
You will find your "niche" in time.
As for how I decided to do what I do....well, I always believed in safety.
A proficient pilot is not always a safe pilot. I was exposed to the FAA Safety Program some 8 years ago as a regular attendee, and volunteered to do seminars for them. This allows me to keep my hand in the "inner workings" of the industry, and meet some really great pilots.

I have been an instructor for more than 30 years, and you do get tired after awhile. Although I was involved in many varied types of flying over the past 35 years, I would always teach when I could.....still do. However, you will find that in time, your abilities and interests may fit into a different segment of aviation. There are many.

For right now, fly, fly and fly some more. You have yet to find your "home" in aviation.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect thanks AB! how important is an instrument rating in the field after obtaining your CPL(H)?
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: ratings Reply with quote

An instrument rating is as important as you consider safety to be.

It is very important! Some pilots feel that because they have an instrument rating, they can blast off into less than VFR weather. NOT TRUE.

An instrument rating is your insurance policy to keep you OUT OF TROUBLE, not open the door into it.

I personally feel that a pilot without an instrument rating at night is inviting problems.

To answer your questions simply......Get it as soon as time and finances allow.

(PS: If you want to instruct, it is certainly needed.)
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ratings Reply with quote

afterburner wrote:
An instrument rating is as important as you consider safety to be.

It is very important! Some pilots feel that because they have an instrument rating, they can blast off into less than VFR weather. NOT TRUE.

An instrument rating is your insurance policy to keep you OUT OF TROUBLE, not open the door into it.

I personally feel that a pilot without an instrument rating at night is inviting problems.

To answer your questions simply......Get it as soon as time and finances allow.

(PS: If you want to instruct, it is certainly needed.)

Its easier said than done though, you have to do your instrument rating in a twin turbine, so your talking at least 1000 plus per hour with an instructor.

Agreed it is worth doing but get a/the company to pay for it or atleast some sort of agreement with it. Its shed loads of money, you could become a flight instructor for the cost of doing an instrument rating.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that 'afterburner' is in the US where it can be done on a single and at significantly lower price. Rolling Eyes

W.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah true, lucky yanks! None the less im not sure what the policy is here in Canada! Ill have to take a gander over the web to check! I know my school DOES NOT offer a instrument rating and they only have single turbines.... so im thinking no, but none the less ill take a look! I do agree with windswept, getting an employer to help pay would be terrific, but having them not have to might make someone look alot more appealing! like i said, ill take a look!
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotWolf wrote:
Don't forget that 'afterburner' is in the US where it can be done on a single and at significantly lower price. Rolling Eyes

W.

Very true, over here in the UK its impractical unless you can get some sort of sponsorship or entire cost paid for by the company your working for.

Over here you can do an instructors rating for almost the same cost as an IR due to it having to be twin turbine.

Which means in the UK at least it makes more sense to pay and do an instructor rating than an IR, simply because your more employable with an instructor rating even with low hours, rather than paying for an IR when you have low hours anyway and are a newly qualified CPL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: