New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 546
Members: 0
Total: 546

HeliTorque :: View topic - starting from scratch......
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

starting from scratch...... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no - here we go again. Laughing Cool

Welcome to the Chatroom!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were I was entirely oblivious to them. Honestly...I thought this was a helicopter forum Rolling Eyes Razz
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Wannabes Reply with quote

I have always felt that if something is worthwhile, and it is my dream, then I will find the money, no matter how long it may take.

Don't let money stop you. It may slow you down, but never give up.

JEN,
before I forget. Happy Birthday. "34" on you looks terrific.
Stay well and fly safe.

AB
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Welcome to Helitorque!

Jen,

You share your birthday with my mum! Smile

James,

Your diary must be world-famous by now! Are you on commission with all these students you're sending to EMH? Hehe Laughing Laughing

Sarah
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw..thanks Laughing

All the stuff in the papers this morning about Lewis Hamilton was pretty inspiring. From living on a council estate with his dad working 3 jobs to pay for his son's carting to F1 champion. Almost brought a tear to my eye on the underground. Or that might just have been the thought of having to go to work... Confused Laughing
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a bit about age, most of you are mature and have been on earth longer than me, im 20, will my age play a role in what companies will hire me?
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy birthday Whirlygirl's mum Very Happy Only 2 hours and 16 mins to go now...
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jen! I will pass on your regards! Smile

And many happy returns to you too - I shall say it now as I'll probably be in a zombie-like state by midnight! Smile

Sarah
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No James, thats 33, 38 and 39.

Good to have another Martin on here, welcome to Helitorque!!

And Happy Birthday Jen for tomorrow.
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

Like others have said you've been quoted costs for completing your course in minimum time. UK National average is about 65 hours though. You'll also need to consider/ascertain whether the course books, ppl theory exams, and your ppl skilss test fee are included within the price you've been given or whether they're extra. You'll also need a medical (Class 2 if you only want a PPL, but a Class 1 if you want a CPL), and the CAA have their own fees for licence issue also.

First decision is 'Might you want a CPL?'. If the answer is yes get the Class 1 medical sorted before spending loads on flying because if you cannot get the medical you won't get a CPL. The initial Class 1 can only be completed by the CAA at Gatwick and you'll need to contact them for current prices etc etc.

On the subject of the CAA. Go to http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=780 and download LASORs. (If the link doesn't work go to www.caa.co.uk and enter LASORs in the search field etc etc). LASORs is a simple guide to flight crew licensing and it will tell you about hours required and exams to be sat etc etc.

FWIW I'd have a look at both the 300 and the R22 and then choose the one you're happiest with. Both have pros and cons. Use a school with an instructor you have an almost instant rapport with AND make sure/insist that you do receive proper pre and post flight briefings as they're just as important as the actual flying and a few schools seem to forget that Rolling Eyes

Learning in the Country within which you intend to fly is valuable experience, but in the UK more expensive. If you decide to learn abroad remember to factor in your travel, accomodation costs and the licence conversion costs once you get back to the UK.

You might be gathering that this is not a cheap hobby or career change Laughing

In so far as 'How useful is a CPL?'. Being brutally blunt a basic new CPL is worthless. Zero to JAA CPL will cost in the region of 45-55K.

New CPL's choose one of two paths:
Flight Instructor (FI). Cost to acquire from zero roughly 75K. In the current economic climate aviation is taking a pounding and everywhere is suffering a downturn to a greater or lesser degree. I Fi'd for 14 months about 3 years ago and was earning about 20K gross. FI employment terms and conditions should require a thread all of their own, suffice to say the work is fun and the hours very long (you'll also work 99.9% of weekends through the Summer).

Instrument rating (IR). Cost to acquire from zero about the same. But be under no illusion an IR is a difficult and frustrating course and will be tricky (but not impossible) to complete with very low hours. Your options post IR are basically North Sea offshore flying for the oil and gas industry. Recruitment is cyclical, so opportunities when you're qualified are anybodies guess. Salary for a new co-pilot about 35K, rising to 100k+ as an experienced Captain.

With the downturn in FI'ing (and in many cases FI frustration) many FI's are biting the bullet and paying for an IR also, in which case you'll be up against them as well as any other 'new' guys when you go job hunting.

I self funded zero to CPL/FI/ MEIR in the UK, total bill circa 125K 3 ish years ago, with no job guarantee at the end of it. I was lucky and got employed very quickly. But with companies like Aeromega closing their twin charter buisness and their pilots struggling to find alternative work with the right qualifications and some experience, the future atleast in the short term, looks a little unsteady.

Feel free to PM if you've any questions. Happy to provide you with a number if you'd like to chat AND I've no 'shameless plugs' (not that I have a problem with them) to make as I no longer teach and have no direct connections with any training provider. What I do have though is a fair view of the industry and the hindsight of having been there already (especially with reagrds to being a self employed FI/CPL trading as a Ltd company and VAT registered)

The learning and working is great fun, but the financial risks are very high.
Accept my apologies for the blunt yet accurate view, but I reckon without the full facts you're hard pushed to make an informed decision and I'll sleep easier at night knowing you've started 'this' path armed with as much information as possible. Everybodies circumstances are different, I knew the risks and still went for it Cool (but I had loads of property equity, an income from a previous employment and no kids).

Good luck,

FW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: