New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 613
Members: 0
Total: 613

HeliTorque :: View topic - exciting but sad news!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

exciting but sad news! Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: exciting but sad news! Reply with quote

Ordered a new vehicle today, 09 Rav4 sport! something to help me get to and back from school in the snow! finally something 4 wheel drive! Only bummer is today i alo had to sell my 2000 SAAB Viggen to my dad......so upsetting! non the less a trade that in the long run will help me make the trip up north for work!
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting swaps Logan...I have had 6 Rav 4s - all 3 door petrol automatics until Feb this year. They've now stopped making the 3 door which was the original spec [3dr] and its selling point WAS size - 12'3" long and easy to drive/park/run etc. The 'selling point' of the latest model was that it's 15" LONGER than the last model which to me was one of many things against it. They wouldn't sell the sunroofed model 3 door in the UK although the US and Australia had it thus proving in one country at least that a RHD model had a bodyshell with a sunroof! I think they've shot themselves in the foot dropping the 3 door.

So I bought a Saab 9-3 Vector Sport convertible - auto (6 speed pop-pickers!) diesel 1.9TiD and it runs like a dream. Economy on a long run is c 62 mpg (try getting near that in a RAV!) and I love it.

The Saab owners seem like complete anoraks (on the UKS site anyway) when it comes to Carlsson and Viggen etc. Quite why anyone likes that near vertical windscreen on the 900 I can't imagine. It seems to have taken years to get to a sexy bodyline like mine (and the car Smile ) and I'm jolly glad they have. It's a hot machine.

Have fun in the Toyota - build quality is very good and snow-handling is excellent too. See if you can beat 34150 miles on a set of front tyres and 38000 on the rear!

FF

Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha ill do my best, yeah the viggen is one of only 3 in all of alberta! so its rare thus why my dads wants it! None the less yeah the Rav looks great, its the 6cyl version so there wont be a loss of HP between the viggen and the rav (which is nice)! I wont lie ill miss the death out of it but at-least its not going far, all i need to do is ask to drive it now! haha! Toyotas seem like great vehicles! My dad just got back from a month work in amsterdam, rented a 06 rav diesel 6 speed, and persuaded me to look into the Rav's. Canada likely wont have the diesel model for quite some time but this will do just fine! Shows up Jan 1st, now ill be tight for cash on the sense that im paying off loans for CPL and now for a Rav! Shocked Very Happy
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Foxy wrote:
So I bought a Saab 9-3 Vector Sport convertible - auto (6 speed pop-pickers!) diesel 1.9TiD and it runs like a dream. Economy on a long run is c 62 mpg (try getting near that in a RAV!) and I love it.

Aha! Welcome to the Saab club, Foxy! Very Happy How long have you had that? Is it the 120 or 150bhp model engine? Hope you're enjoying it - it's by far and away the best car I've ever had. And my Saab dealer is brilliant - they'll always go the extra mile to help me, if I need it.

Economy wise, on the runs down to Bournemouth earlier this year, I think the best I acheived was 61.1mpg - which is precisely what the book says I should get! Something like 700-800 miles out of a tank of fuel, or so the computer reckoned...
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a Golf 2.0 Turbo GT Auto thingy (amazingly scary power- I haven't used supersonic mode yet) - but I do like the SAAB. The SAAB (like the one you have James) is a fantastic looking car. I have only ever heard good reports about SAABs thumbleft
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

I think it's the 120 PS engine - I could get some remapping done or a chip thingy but TBQH it is very slick already. I still haven't really tried to see what it will do. I got my 62mpg doing no more than 65mph from Sheffield to J30 of the M5 and for the reason that one is with a different set of motorists, the speed is more constant than being with the nutters at 80mph plus there's no need to be always watching out for cops. Funnily enough it still takes just the same length of time to get there!

For once I bought a s/h car, only 9 months old and ex-Saab management so it's pretty well fully specced. I save a vast amount on the book price of a new one too. No heated seats and somethings I could do with that are made operational via Tech-ll. I have a colleague with a 52 plate 9-3 saloon which I drove down to the south of France (2.2 diesel manual) a couple of years ago who knows a non-dealer Saab-only garage so I must take it in there and get it set up to my liking. The one thing that I do find annoying is the turbo-lag. Setting off from a junction has to be more carefully considered before moving off.
That long drive was what made me decide that at the next change it would be a Saab - very nice indeed. A good move!

If I could ever find out how to stick a picture on this forum I'd (clean the car and) post one..

FF

SteelCity
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Sorry. I'm terribly sorry. I thought I was in a helicopter forum. Pardon me for intruding.

<<< shuffles off, stage left, embarrassed >>>

Before I go - How are you doing Foxy? LTNS! hello2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelCity - Does it help that my car says R44 on it?! And Saab have lots to do with aviation, too...!?

Foxy - mine's the 150 model, so probably why the fuel economy is a little less, I guess. On a 54 plate too - so the slightly older model 9-3.

I do like the sound of the new TTiD engines - 170 PS/bhp from a 1.9 diesel, with even better economy than mine. Keep meaning to have a go in one - perhaps when mine's next in for a service, I'll ask for one of them.

Very Happy Cool
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Funnily enough it still takes just the same length of time to get there!

The maths says different... Smile

W.
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er um yes, what I meant was that if you are trying to hammer down at 80+mph all the way, you are constantly being held up by muppets who won't pull over on a dual carriageway and the tailgating in lane 3 by those who daren't move left in case they never ever live it down or can't get back into the lane (as if) whereas if you do a (slightly) slower speed it's more of a constant and FAR less stressful than being a Lane 3 Jockey. [Plus, it's legal!]

SS - doing OK thanks (btw this is T,C+C so 'anything goes' - oh, there IS a forum called that on here? - oops ok, sorry) but I still need to get an LPC to be current again. It will happen soon I'm sure.
Enjoying Goodwood still?

FF

P.S. My car reg says 269 - does that count?? (It took James to point that out to me!!!)
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ex-husband was hopeless at pulling back into lanes.

Once I asked him exasperatedly why we were in the middle lane - the left being completely empty - and he replied (only half-joking) "because it's my favourite lane". Rolling Eyes Head Banging

Mind you - bearing in mind the rest of his driving, lane hogging was the least of his problems...
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen wrote:
my ex-husband was hopeless at pulling back into lanes...why we were in the middle lane - the left being completely empty...least of his problems...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Very Puzzled We're Coming For YOU leftfighter1

not much tilts my pinball but that is one of the things that really does!
answer; tall building, gun.
Move Over!
If it moves i want a go
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, he's not my ex-husband for no reason Wink Laughing
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too bad we dont get any of the diesel SAABs here, they brought over the MK4 golf and jetta TDi and canada went wild, 1000km on a single tank was huge! I couldnt deal with the power though thus why i bought the viggen! I wonder why all these awesome european diesels dont make it to canada, ide buy one in a heartbeat!
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a delightful trip in IFR conditions on the M1 yesterday...

I really object to being tailgated at 80mph - its so tempting to catch the brake pedal and let them impale themselves on my tow bar! Twisted Evil

I wonder how many hours flying a whiplash injury compensation pays for?

W.

Edited for the forum spelling police!

Last edited by PilotWolf on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: