HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics

Vortex Ring sting Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilsoeSid
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weekend warrior, with a post such as that you must qualify it. Are you sure you weren't referring to TCs post?

Tell me. What are the MAJORITY of viewers here?

Should I explain to you how to do a realistic quick stop, as practised in the Lynx?
When you 'need' to quick stop, ZSU round the corner, got to go back before he can get guns on you. Can't continue and dash left/right, no room to manoevre, no cover. Radar warnings going off, chaff dispensers firing. (OK a bit much, but same context as dmnh earlier)

Or shall we talk about 270 degree wingovers? One day. clear skies, no-one around, you may like to have a go!

IMHO, No, because if you read it tried it messed it up, somewhere down the line, someone will say, "well I read how you do this on a web forum and I thought I'd give it a go!"

No win! No fee!

This is, again IMHO, the wrong forum to promote DANGEROUS activities such as those discussed in earlier posts.

If you don't like my opinion, then say so and back it up, instead of the likes of the snidey remark in your last post.

The next time you go for a 'fly in' and the approach changes for what ever reason in the latter stages, what will you do? Continue, get into VR and use the techniques described earlier. Which by the way are still nor proven!....

.......OR fly away and come in again?

Thought so!!!

I just hope that you 'have' read my posts, that way, you may just think about what you are doing or about to do.

SS

p.s. If you don't want others opinions just say!
SilsoeSid
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, if I do appear as the weekend warrior says, I don't mean to be.

Just expressing my concerns.

Byeeee!

SS
Thomas Coupling
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilsoeSid wrote:
Thank you TC, I am well aware of that point. Especially when I read through the AAIB reports!
Have a safe weekend,SS

I wasn't aware that being a patronising git was part of the CPL curriculum?

Lets go back to the very beginning of this thread....

One forumite suggested that a "lever Pump" in certain circumstances was used to detect the presence of V.R - I'd heard of the technique before and so had others it appears, but that doesn't necessarily mean that those would use it. PACO made it abundantly clear that it was used in exceptional circumstances. He was flamb?? rotten as being a bad pilot, someone who needs further training, "I won't fly with you mate" which incidentally came from, of all things, a "Lowly PPL" followed by supposedly experienced pilots jumping on the bandwagon - who's the more experienced eh? The technique exsists - that argument I think has been settled?
Let???s not get into the ???If I ain???t heard of it ??? it can???t be done??? argument ??? That???s what test pilots are for.

Some might say that you can invert a R22 - but who in their right mind is going to try it? - Certainly not a "lowly PPL". More likely it's going to be a high houred, experienced jockey who has a crack at it. If I had a quid for the times I've heard "Experienced" pilots, after watching Denis Kenyon strutt his stuff remark "I can do that" I'd be a rich man.

Pilots, by definition are hard nuts to crack. They are competitive, on the edge and are always looking for the next "Fix" to get the adrenaline running. I'd wager that a couple of the pro-jocks on this site have already tried the technique to see if it works Wink - Come on - own up! Whereas the low timers would be thinking "I'll hang on until I've spoken to my CFI and run it past him"

PPL's are not kids - they are professional people in their own right, with the ability in their own fields to afford to be helo pilots - in the majority of cases, the ability to afford their own cabs - Makes borrowing someone else???s rather lowly don't you think?

Express your concerns by all means, and thank you for that. But don't think because you fly a pretty, all expenses paid, spammed-up cab - gives you the right to be detrimental and demeaning to others. You never know whom or what you're "talking to" on pages such as these - I might be your boss - you never know Wink

GPS - No fix available Sad
heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I???m all for freedom of speech and all that, this thread is becoming rather tiresome.
Moreover, its tone is disappointing, and in my humble opinion, not in the spirit of the forum.
Someone should put an end to it.
SilsoeSid
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC,

The reason I mentioned the AAIB reports is that they are the only open source I have to know what hours a PPL holder has. You seem to think I am suggesting something. Wrong!

I have not called anyone a lowly anything, so please stop getting that thought into anybodies head.

I may be a lowly user of someone elses aircraft, much like most commercial pilots!! (notice you calling someone lowly!), but the fact that a proffesional in one business area is able to buy their own aircraft doesn't mean their professional skills cross over. A professional person doth not a professional pilot make!

I have not been detrimental to PPL holders,if anything it has been to dmnh,a high houred, respected, 'bushy type pilot', who suddenly enters the arena with tales of do and daring that people take as gospel.

All I wanted to to was make all readers aware of the dangers of such a technique.

TC, if you are my boss, then we need to talk really soon!
But I very much doubt it!

I look forward to the phone call, I'll be in all week!

Cool
SS
Bierbuikje
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS

What DMNH said was "What is correct for one part of the helicopter industry is not correct for the other" At least that's how I interpreted it.

1)He talked about tecniques used in longline work

2)Then he made a very valid point about teaching more downwind landings (To be able to easily recognise if youve made a mistake and youve ended up downwind)

Now the first scenario I (Like many people on here) will most likely not find my self in but the second scenario is the part of the industry where I work, Most of the work I do is instruction so to me what he said about the downwind landings was spot on, This thread has been going quite a while and Im suprised no on else made the point (My self included)

I do think it's important to consider the experiance of the pilot's on here, So it should realy be made clear to the members here which tecniques they would/should use. This said students and pilots should be getting this information from there instructors not just following what they read on the internet.
SilsoeSid
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Bierbuikje,

I think you have made everything clear, when some of us, me included, have probably started to lose the plot.

As a 'lowly borrower of someone elses cab', as TC likes to describe me, Wink I shall monitor the Wellsbourne webcam, in the hope of a wave from the Touchdown Inn patio if any helitorquers are around, while I sit here waiting for a job. Crying or Very sad

Have a good day all,

Cool
SS
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS, I think the Wellesbourne cam has moved out of place! They need to tilt it so it is not giving such a panoramic view of the roof! Lovely day for flying - sadly I am not there otherwise I'd give you a wave. I am still waiting for the good old CAA to send my licence! Sad

WhirlyGirl Cool
SilsoeSid
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WGS,

The cams haven't been good since they were first mentioned on the webcam thread. The annoying thing for me is watching the reflections of the guys in the tower. Do they not look at their own webcam? I guess not, as for them it's just like looking out of the window!! Wink
I'll ask if they can move them.

Back to this thread, sort of, maybe if you look out of your window later, you will see your, (council tax payers), helicopter flying by. Give a wave to the lowly pilot!!

TC, further to your last, I hear the 'Touchdown' does some lovely fries. Perhaps you'd like to do a balancing trick of sorts!! Wink
By the way, I did the ATPL papers!

Still a great day out there. Doors open....coooool!! Cool

SS
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilco! Ready to wave! Very Happy

WhirlyGirl Cool
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were too fast for me to run outside, but I managed to wave from the window! Very Happy

WhirlyGirl Cool
Thomas Coupling
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilsoeSid wrote:
WGS,
TC, further to your last, I hear the 'Touchdown' does some lovely fries. Perhaps you'd like to do a balancing trick of sorts!! Wink
By the way, I did the ATPL papers!

SS

Have I been rumble'd?

ATPL papers eh? Confused I'm far far too long in the tooth to take those on Cool

SilsoeSid
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC,

It has taken me a while, but I was wondering if you were now the owner of G-CEEE?

You can see where I am going on this, can't you !!!

ATB
SS
Thomas Coupling
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the owner?

Nope - I fly it sometimes though, although not very well it appears Wink

389 ring a bell (or two)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: