New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 613
Members: 0
Total: 613

HeliTorque :: View topic - Ireland 14-16th June... Anyone?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events

Ireland 14-16th June... Anyone? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Ireland 14-16th June... Anyone? Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

Sorry for my absence of late, I've still been lurking I've just been unimaginably busy at work!

So, just wanted to run this by anyone that's up for an adventure...

We're planning a trip to Ireland by helicopter and so far have three aircraft going along. Just wanted to ask if anyone here would be up for coming along and flying an R44 for a few hours.

There's currently a spare seat outbound and the pilot is looking for someone to share the flying with, if only for a couple of hours. It would be a reasonably cheap way to participate as you'd benefit from being able to do the whole trip and only be paying for the two or three hours of flying (estimated total hours around 10-15). There will be an instructor on board in case you're fairly new to going overseas by heli so you need not worry!

Let me know if you're interested, or indeed if you want to fly over and meet up in your own aircraft. The plan is to head over to Waterford, fly round the south coast and base ourselves over at Kerry for a couple of days. I've never been but it's apparently very beautiful around there and the evenings are bound to be entertaining.

We will be departing Coventry Airport on Sunday the 14th and arriving back on the 16th June weather permitting.

All the best,

Sarah
Bomb_Doctor
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open to Student or PPL(H) Whirlygirl?
3Blades
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The plan is to head over to Waterford, fly round the south coast and base ourselves over at Kerry for a couple of days. I've never been but it's apparently very beautiful around there and the evenings are bound to be entertaining.

Hey WG,

Sounds like a great trip, especially if you get nice weather!! I really miss flying round the south coast, there are some great landing sites down there.. Would recommend Cork and Kerry areas especially. I have the honour of being the first heli pilot to land at the new helipad when it opened at the hotel & golf club on Fota Island Cork!! And Cork is a great city for a night out..

Kerry is nice too, I used to land at the hotel in Dingle when doing island hopping down there, and the Dingle peninsula is worth flying round for the view (if not too windy, can be bumpy round the mountains) Killarney is definately worth a visit or a night out..

Hope you have a great trip, and be sure to post the post flight blog and piccies after you get back!!

3B
Chickenhawk
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

ireland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know there was a helipad at Fota! My parents house is right beside there. I'll be landing in Cork tomorrow so I may have to check that out.

I think that will be a fantastic trip! Shame I've not got an R44 rating or else I'd be there in a heartbeat.

You'll probably be ok with the Waterford accent, Cork will challenge you and forget about Kerry just smile and agree. Howaroo means hello.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Sounds fantastic around Kerry and Cork.

Fingers crossed for the weather. Seat's still available if anyone is up for it.

Sarah
Bomb_Doctor
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open to Student or PPL(H) Whirlygirl?
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bomb Doctor,

The majority are hour building but since there's going to be an instructor on board I don't think it really matters if you're not rated - of course you can't count it towards your training or type rating since it's won't be done at the school you're training with and perhaps because you're not going to be in the UK? I guess you could do the first bit from Coventry to Haverford West at least!!

That's an interesting topic actually. You're flying in JAR land between licensed airfields with an instructor. The instructor is PIC, therefore the student is PUT. I would presume they can put it in their log book but it can't go down on the training record as counting towards the minimum 45 hours because those airfields are no longer under the UK CAA (even thought it's all JAR), however I can't find this in LASORS and I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

I had a couple of flights to France in my logbook prior to getting my PPL as I was flying with an instructor, who seemed to think it was ok to log it. CAA checked log book on application and didn't bring it to my attention.

Sarah
3Blades
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm interesting..

I once had a student who arrived in to do his qualifying cross country from EGAD (Newtownards) one day. I briefed him and got him to start planning and in the meantime I phoned his two "land away" aerodromes to book him in, however one of them (who I won't name but with an unhelpful reputation) would not accept students to land that day due to some technical problem..

I didn't want him to miss the opportunity as he was ready and the weather was perfect, so after a hasty re-brief away he went, only now with one "international" leg over the border to Donegal! His flight went smoothly, he got his form signed by ATC, and even learned how to fill in a flightplan!

I sent his licence application in to the CAA as normal and it arrived a couple of weeks later with no questions or queries...Result!

3B
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think if your flying in JAR land (which at the end of the day is the license your doing, your not doing an NPPL) and your sticking to the criteria that your landing at licensed airfields then it would surely be logical you meet the main criteria for counting hours towards training.
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindSwept wrote:
I should think if your flying in JAR land (which at the end of the day is the license your doing, your not doing an NPPL) and your sticking to the criteria that your landing at licensed airfields then it would surely be logical you meet the main criteria for counting hours towards training.

Yep but the CAA have all these little ins and outs to the rules they make. You need a PHD to even be able to understand some of them Very Happy

WhirlyGuy
HeliCraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a significant proportion of my initial training in Mallorca, from a licenced field, but with a UK registered training organisation.

It was accepted without question.
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeliCraig wrote:
I did a significant proportion of my initial training in Mallorca, from a licenced field, but with a UK registered training organisation.

It was accepted without question.

Was that with Jonny @ Sloane perhaps?

If so then it's fantastic over there isn't it and Jonny and the crew are a great bunch.

WhirlyGuy
3Blades
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The key here is "a UK registered (CAA) training organisation", and there should be no issue training there if it has been approved by the UK CAA to operate in another country.

However I don't think the same can be said for a foreign aviation authority registered training facility in another (JAR) country, even though we are now all supposed to be operating to the same standards (more or less, depending on any notified variations by the country in question)

3B
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed WG, it is very beautiful in Kerry.

Mrs Oi and I had a week in the Republic of Ireland about six years ago touring round the coast. We stayed in Killarney and drove the Ring of Kerry, its the peninsula in the south west of Ireland starting Killarney. Its a 170km circular route that car drivers are advised to do in an anticlockwise direction,

It was very picturesque from the ground so must be awesome from the air.

Have a great trip
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log the hours if you are flying with an instructor, but training towards a type rating or licence must be done from a licensed airfield, probably to be nominated in your FTO manual and in the same JAA state.

Logging hours in a another JAA country is fine, as for training, your FTO would need to be authorised to conduct training in that state.

Don't be scared of asking the CAA, if you are in doubt phone them, they are there to help you, that's why you pay for them (and for someone to clean all the glass at Gatwick).

Enjoy the trip!

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: