New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Qualifying Cross Country!!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Qualifying Cross Country!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Qualifying Cross Country!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Today I completed my QXC! It's been a long day, and I am so pleased! Very Happy
This morning I flew from from Wellesbourne - Gloucester - Shobdon - Wellesbourne dual, and this afternoon I did it on my own!

This is most flying I have ever done in one day! It was fantastic. I have a 5 minute break to post this message as I am now back home teaching music, but I will post more details about the trips later on, including the obligotary photograph taken after I landed! lol! Wink

Just a few more hours to go and I'll be a "proper" pilot! Smile Smile

WhirlyGirl Cool
blme
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Proper Pilot Reply with quote

Congrats WhirlyGirl

Well deserved success - What a star!

blme

Last edited by blme on Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done WhirlyGirl!!1 Very Happy But, then, I knew that you could do it - no doubt whatsoever Very Happy Very Happy

Fantastic day for flying today. You lucky so and so!!! Cool Cool

Cheers to your licence Wink You deserve it after so much hard work that you have put into it.

TTFN
CW
Smile Smile
xx
R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done WG.....this was a landmark even for me, and there was no-one there to pat me on the back....only a phone call.

But it meant an awful lot to me to get it done, and to get such good reports at the end of it too.

Good on you WG.

Adam.

James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations WhirlyGirl! Very Happy A heck of an acheivement, and on such a fantastic day too!

When's the skills test? Cool
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done WhirlyGirl!

Great feeling isn't it? Nice to see you popped into Shobdon, where I experienced my first ever flight in an R22. Hope the remainder of the course goes well.

DBChopper
Very Happy

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Very Happy

Had a similar day when I did mine; found the whole experience, even with the pressure of all the navigating, exhilarating. Took a bit of time to get use to the silence flying solo over a long period of time though.
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Whirlygirl, You're catching me up so fast!
The thing about that long silence as Heliaviator says is like after you've passed your driving test - suddenly there's no-one next to you and my compensation was having the radio on permanently and I still do it even 30 years on. Trouble is, no radio (of that type) in the cockpit - maybe I could fit a h-fi sound system..

How many hours have you left to do?

FF

James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh! With you on that Foxy - in the air, I just turn up the radio anyway, and hope for a bit of traffic around to listen to.

Cool
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: QXC Details! Reply with quote

Thanks for the congratulations! I would however like to congratulate everyone who has done their own cross countries recently or otherwise! Respect! It's a big sky and a big step to take flying for that long on your own without anybody next to you to put you back on track if things don't go according to plan. I will try to discribe the trip as it happened:

Beautiful day, great vis. Got to airfield bright and early, finished off my flight plan (there was virtually no wind so it made the flight plan fairly easy!) and set off to do the route dual. All went according to plan and I was very happy with my flying and my radio. Didn't hang about at any of the airfields as the whole trip took almost 3 hours with all the starts and shutdowns, going in to pay landing fees etc. and I had to get back to do it all over again by myself! So, after grabbing a quick sandwich I set off on my solo cross country...

The most demanding part of the trip as far as the radio is concerned was going into Gloucester. I set off from Wellesbourne, left the circuit and started climbing to 2,200ft. Changed to the Gloucester ATIS, got all the necessary info and carried on flying towards Gloucester. As I was passing the point where I'd normally call up Gloucester approach, I noticed 3 gliders flying around me. You know how difficult they are to spot, and that they seem to disappear when they turn in a certain direction, well I thought it best I keep my eye on them. They were no threat but with the lengthy radio call I was about to make I didn't want to risk losing sight of them!! When completely clear of the gliders I called in - 2 miles later than planned, but I changed the position I gave them accordingly. All went smoothly, managed to stay on heading despite the traffic all around me, and I turned onto a southerly heading at Tewkesbury. Came into Gloucester from the north (standard heli approach) and had to hold position. Hovered for a while, nothing was happening on the radio, and I could see no traffic on final approach or lining up to take off. Was about to call to remind them I was waiting to cross the active when they called me to ask if I was ready!! Crossed runway 09 and landed at heli spot 3. Went in to pay the landing fee and the lady called the tower for my report! Got the paper signed. Very Happy

Departed to Shobdon, radio was much easier. Kept a listening watch. Once I was about 6 miles from Shobdon I called them. But where's the airfield gone? For a moment I couldn't see it, then it appeared, gleaming!! It was hiding behind some trees! Joined downwind for 09 and landed. Got my form signed again. Very Happy No time for a cup of tea - had to get back to Wellesbourne. On the way back I saw an aeroplane 12 o' clock at what looked like the same altitude (in the distance). Kept an eye on it but after a while I realised it was moving away from me. However to my right I noticed two large vintage aeroplanes! Looked like World War II aircraft but I am not sure (not too hot on aeroplane types!). I was well clear of them, but it's amazing how much traffic I came across on this trip. Good job blme had washed the windscreen down to get rid of all the flies! That can be quite confusing and can stop you spotting aircraft becuase there are too many dots on the screen! Got back safe and sound. The whole trip was 2.1 hours (flying). Here are some photos:

Landed at Gloucester!!

Just about to depart Shobdon

Back at Wellesbourne! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anyway hope I haven't bored you all to tears with the details!! If you want to share any of your solo cross country stories, please feel free! Smile

WhirlyGirl Cool
Flyer
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on this marvelous milestone!!!!!!

You had a lot of traffic. I see you flew in your HI-VIS jacket does that not reflect on the windscreen?

regards Flyer
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Congrats on your solo.... Reply with quote

Hiya,

I think you already know what I have to say to your completing the cross country solo. A massive massive well done. It seems you managed to do your cross country, get home, do some teaching, post the message and then we went out for a celebratory meal. Unfortunately I didn't know you had posted yet on that day and so wasn't able to get my message in before everyone else again!! Well not angry just upset at myself I suppose.

Nice piccies although I don't seem to remember us having a tripod for the camera!! I guess those pictures were taken on the dual cross country not the solo!!!

Again a massive well done and hugs from me.

W-GUY

........... give in!!! lol

W-Guy - PPL(H)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: