Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events

Gilbert & Sullivan Fly-in
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Gilbert & Sullivan Fly-in Reply with quote

I am contemplating organising a fly-in at a Hotel north of Harrow, with a difference.

The proposal is to visit the hotel one Sunday afternoon, and enjoy their matinee Crem Tea and Tour, with Gilbert & Sullivan operetta extracts.

The hotel was once the home of Gilbert himself, and is a lovelly hotel. The grounds are gorgeous too, with a nearby mini lake and woodland walks.

The matinee is held in the main dining room after the tour of the gardens and the house, where the performers will offer extracts from the main operetta to be performed later in the evening to the dinner guests.

People can stay overnight if required, as it's a hotel.

I've decided to do the matinee so that those of us who don't want to stay can leave before sunset and get back in good time.

I've been to one of these evenings before, and also booked the singers for a large dinner I once organised, and they are truly wonderful. The meal is also very good. Highly recommended.

The performance would either be the Pirates of Penzance, or HMS Pinafore, depending on the date chosen, but both are equally good and funny.

Have a look at the web site for more information on the hotel, grounds and events, and then get back to me if you're interested in going.

Again, it will be a Sunday afternoon, in the not too distant future, while we still have long evenings. Dates yet to be confirmed.

I will definitely be going, and will be taking someone with me. Note, however, that heli parking may be extremely limited, so get your names down early if you want to come.

PM me if you want any more info.

www.grimsdyke.com

Cheers.
Adam.

WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say where abouts the heli pad is?

WhirlyGirl Cool
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gilbert & Sullivan 'do' sounds great. Cap't BLME's brother, Chris, is an absolute genius and an expert on Gilbert & Sullivan stuff. He makes most of his living through the G&S literature, music etc. He would probably know everything that needs to be known about G&S. He can play it on piano as well!!

Trouble is though, Chris hates helicopters, so would be very difficult to drag him off to one of these places (unless we blindfold him and tranquilise him!!) But we could get him interested in driving down - we will be seeing him in a few weeks time (he is in theatre at Holt, Norfolk for the summer season at the moment!).

We are not, unfortunately, free at all until the second weekend of September!!! But, if the G&S night/weekend can be any other time in Sept, then let us know. And perhaps we could arrange for BLME's brother to come along as well.

TTFN
CW
Smile Smile
xx

xx
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gilbert & Sullivan 'do' sounds great. Cap't BLME's brother, Chris, is an absolute genius and an expert on Gilbert & Sullivan stuff. He makes most of his living through the G&S literature, music etc. He would probably know everything that needs to be known about G&S. He can play it on piano as well!!

Trouble is though, Chris hates helicopters, so would be very difficult to drag him off to one of these places (unless we blindfold him and tranquilise him!!) But we could get him interested in driving down - we will be seeing him in a few weeks time (he is in theatre at Holt, Norfolk for the summer season at the moment!).

We are not, unfortunately, free at all until the second weekend of September!!! But, if the G&S night/weekend can be any other time in Sept, then let us know. And perhaps we could arrange for BLME's brother to come along as well.

TTFN
CW
Smile Smile
xx

xx
R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helipad is on the Western Lawn, which is the triangular piece of grass just to the left of the house. On this photo, just south of the white Marquee. It's only big enough for two helis, but there is room on the rose garden lawn (where the white marquee is) for two more, and they may be able to borrow some local ground nearby.

It's just a thought at the moment. I'll sort the technicalities out later.

Adam.

R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken with my friend, who runs the events at Grims Dyke, and have now decided on a date and suggestions for landing.

The 4th September would be the best date for this event, and the Gilbert & Sullivan operetta would be "Patience", which I am told is VERY funny, and very entertaining.

The proposal is to land in a neighbouring field about midday. Hang around for a few hours until the tour of the grounds at about 3pm, then the finger buffet and cream tea with the entertainment at about 4pm. Then to lift about 5.30 or 6pm to return home. Sunset that day is 7pm.

The whole thing is ??22, and they can take up to about 8 people.

I would need definite numbers by the end of this month at the latest, so if you fancy it, let me know. I will be also talking to people off the forum, as well as people on the forum.

It would be nice to have another small get-together.

Come on, get booking Smile

Adam.

WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Review Of Grimsdyke Reply with quote

Not sure if I can make this one myself, but if anyone is considering it I am sure it will be a great do! Just to let you konw that there is now a review of this landing site in our reviews section, which contains links to photos and information should you wish to research it a bit.

Adam, when you have fixed a date let me know and we'll get it up on the calendar.

WhirlyGirl Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: