Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events

What Do You Expect From A fly In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS2
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: What Do You Expect From A fly In Reply with quote

At the moment this is theoretical but you never know where it might lead..

If there was a heli flyin organised what would you want from it ?

Free landing fee or a donation to charity or neither ?

Entertainment or not, or simply an area to chat and have a pint (for the passengers only!!) and a bite to eat.

Would you want to stop overnight or simply a one day fly in ?

Would you expect food put on or a discout scheme, likewise how about fuel, a discout on the day maybe ?

Would you want to ppr or would this put you off.

Would you be happy for a sterile hour when there are no helicopter movements and the helicopter parking area opened up to visitors or simply pilots and passengers only near the helicopters ?

Do you actually want anything different from the day or simply the chance to fly somehwere different knowing that there will be other roatry visitor present and that any landing fee will be a donation to charity ?

As I said at the start, this is theory only at the moment but any feedback would be gratefully received. Pm me if you wish.

Cheers.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What Do You Expect From A fly In Reply with quote

Lots of questions! Shocked

RS2 wrote:
Free landing fee or a donation to charity or neither ?

I would suggest that (reasonable) landing fees aren't that much of a problem - however, it certainly is nice not to have to pay them!

RS2 wrote:
Entertainment or not, or simply an area to chat and have a pint (for the passengers only!!) and a bite to eat.
Would you want to stop overnight or simply a one day fly in ?

I think they're related. If there was an overnight stopover, then one might like a bit of entertainment (the Catwoman and Whirlygirl Can-Can for example)! For me, fly-ins would be an opportunity to meet up with old friends, and maybe make new ones. If I was travelling any great distance, then I would probably like to stay overnight. If it was relatively local to me, then that's not so much of a consideration.

RS2 wrote:
simply the chance to fly somehwere different knowing that there will be other roatry visitor present

Yes, just that!

RS2 wrote:
Would you expect food put on or a discout scheme, likewise how about fuel, a discout on the day maybe ?

Discounts are always an attraction. Wink But I wouldn't necessarily expect food to be laid on at all.

RS2 wrote:
As I said at the start, this is theory only at the moment

Aww, c'mon. Give us a clue! Wink
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late in answering this post I s'pose!! But I would say the purpose of a fly-in is to have fun, chill out and meet up with our fellow heli-torquers Smile So far, the get-togethers that we have had have been superb (and memorable!!). Nightly stopovers have been a good idea in past events!

Always looking for helo-friendly landing sites, good food at decent prices (discount if WhirlyGirl gets involved!!) Fuel a little bit more difficult to get at discount prices but may be worth a try! (Again, WhirlyGirl could try!!)

We are always looking for suitable venues for lunch, dinners, Christmas bashes, etc but if any of you out there can recommend anything, would always be pleased to hear from you.

As for the charity-based side of things - not averse to that all. Will always donate to cancer research, etc, but also to any other life threatening diseases - heart, kidneys, liver, etc!! Also, can I put a plug in for 'prem bambinos' charities as well?

CW
xx

PS: Helitorque get-togethers mean 'no histrionics', 'no political correctness' stuff, etc etc....just plain, down-to-earth getting together and meeting up and having fun Smile Smile

xx
RS2
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, (also had some via private pm's).

At the moment it is the very early stages but we are probably going to organise some sort of flyin, in the early part of next year at EGBO. There is a reasonable cafe on site (going through a few teething problems at the moment following change of ownership), three runways dependent on the wind direction although that shouldnt worry helicopters, and plenty of parking space. It will probably be a one day fly in, but there are two good places to stay very close by if groups wanted to arrange that.

As I say, very early stages of planning at the moment but watch this space.

If any of you wanted a preview of the location Im sure one of the magazines is about to give away free landings for Nov or Dec I think. If you do pitch up, ask ATC if the photographers about or pm me to let me know your coming and I'll try and be around to meet some fellow Helitorquers. If your just passing by remember they also offer rotors running refuel if you need it - not for an R22 though !!
RS2
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have also mentioned the places near by where you can eat drink and stopover if you so desire..

Check out http://www.redlioninn.co.uk/index.htm and http://www.blakelands.com/

Blakelands is literally over the airfield boundary hedge and the Red lion is a two minute drive away (the owners will come an pick up from the airport normally). Of course there are many other country pubs in the area and Bridgnorth with its famous Severn Valley Steam Railway is only 8 miles away.
northernhero
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take it blakelands is the one by the 16 threshold with quite often a jetranger there? (i take it he is on pipe/powerline patrol)

will vouch for the hot refueling efficiancy i have been using them quite a bit lately and they even were prepared to wait for me when i was running late one evening
RS2
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow reply northern hero, yes Blakelands is the one by the 16 Threshold and the pipeline helicopters have been frequent visitors in the past.

If your late arrival was not too long ago, I think I was actually assisting in the tower that day.

Plans are now afoot for a fly in at Wolverhampton in earlyish 2006, but I think it will be an open fly in rather than a themed one, everybody welcome is the idea.

Once a few things are finalised, Helitorquer's will be some of the first to hear the details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Upcoming Events All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: