Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Old Rookie's Crawl Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Old Rookie's Crawl Reply with quote

Well if Logan can run and keep running, I can crawl. I am throwing myself in at the deep end. I have a one hour lesson voucher and i'm gonna use it.

I have just "won" a half hour trial lesson on ebay so I have deceided to try and go for that this month while the weather is holding. This will be my quick refresher course as it was 2007 last time I took the right hand seat in an R22. In fact that was the last time I took any seat in anything. I will be following that with my famous 1 hour finaly sorted and paid for. I would like to thank all those pilots and enthusiasts here who take time out of there lives to tell us about their working day, their experiences and their training progress. Like many of you I have a busy life with work and family and the finacial cost of flying is , well to me anyway , just epic. I intend to give hope and cause to those who think they are just never going to get there and show it can be done by just chipping away at it no matter how long it takes. I may stray a little on the way as you never know what life has to offer. But if you have that thought, that constant nagging, a single minded focus when anything heli related crops up, that inner voice screaming at you I WAS MEANT TO FLY HELICOPTERS I intend to show you that you are not alone, it can be done. You may be an anorak to all around you but you are not alone. Never give up on your dream as I will not.
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you ORC, an example to us all , try and get those 6 numbers this weekend mate ,failing that you could sell your body for extra cash or find a frisky instructor who will trade hours for favors. Laughing
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ORC! Just awesome!
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: The next hour Reply with quote

Well. I have booked an hour with Tiger helicopters at Shobdon. I have taken advantage of their "Free trial lesson" and added an extra half hour from a voucher which I got off ebay. Its booked for Wednesday and I have the day off work. I am a little worried as the weather is not looking good at the moment will just have to keep everything crossed and hope it improves.......watch this space !!!!
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that is awesome! Hopefully the weather will hold out for you!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck! Fingers crossed for the weather Very Happy
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while were here how is training going Jen? haven't heard much from your schedule, bet your coming along great!
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also posted this in the trial lesson thread but put it here as well Very Happy

Well I had my trial lesson for free and extended it by half an hour by using a voucher that I purchased via ebay. I stayed on after my lesson to attend a career seminar that they offer.
Shobdon is a bit of a trek for me but its a non motorway and mostly rural route that I took. I get to fly so infrequently Its quite a special ,whole day out, kind of thing to me, so I dont really mind .I was greeted upon arrival by my instructor for the day, Clive Sturdy, and after welcome cup of tea and get to know each other chat we headed off to complete nesessary paperwork and out to a waiting R22, G-GRTD. I was given a very thorough safety briefing before even getting in the aircraft and this continued once seated. Moving on to familiarisation with controls and instruments and a discussion of control inputs and effects. I was made to engage in conversation with Clive and make very clear that I was understanding what was going to be required from me, about handing over control, radio communication etc. Clive talked me through checks and start up explaining the reasons for each and every step and I followed through on the controls as we took off. I am really not capable of giving a concise account of the rest of the flight as I was just enjoying myself too much. I was introduced to controls one by one as I was instructed through the basics , keeping the aircraft in trim, flying straight and level and transitions. I will never forget flying towards a rainbow and I will never be able to thank Clive enough for constantly reminding me to look around I have a tendancy to become fixated on what I am trying to fly towards and just miss out on what I am actually doing. I managed to fly straight and level, in trim and thouroughly enjoy every single second. I successfully completed a few turns and changed my heading from one hill to another lost my concentration and started to descend getting my airspeed up a little. We headed back to the airfield and down to the hover square. I had quite a few attempts at this and I think i managed about five seconds before the ground or the sky was all we could see and Clive had to step in. I have to be honest I was feeling a little dissopointed with my efforts but with each attempt I was getting better and it was pointed out to me that it takes around 10 hours to get to anything near proficiant. Any feelings of any kind of failure were quickly dissolved as on our way back to the hanger Clive demonstrated a quick stop over the grass strip Big Grins all round and back to the manouvering area for landing, following through on the controls. Talked through shut down ,realising that I had absolutly no idea of the cockpit layout and I am completely incapable of understanding english anymore, How hard can flicking a switch be ?
Back inside for a de-brief and an entry in my log book. 0.8 hours I had a long chat with Clive about taking the next step and what future lessons would involve and went back later for the career seminar.

It was not a hard sell event it was an explanation of how the industry operates and examples of routes and goals. Made interesting by the fact it was given by someone who is actualy doing it currently building hours as a flight instructor.

I also had a look around the hanger whilst I was there at the R44 , 206 and sat in the twin squirrel (Oh I do so want one) and had a look at the 109. I have noticed how much the visibility out the window seems to decrease as the cost of the aircraft increases.

To sum up my time at Tiger helicopters. I was made to feel very welcome and had a memorable day. I felt more relaxed than on previous lessons whether this was just due to progression or Clives approach I could not be sure. All I can say is I felt more relaxed while I was under instruction and was not trying to crush the collective as much. I gained a great deal from the whole experience I would recomend Tiger to anyone thinking about getting involved with helicopters. They have biscuits

Last edited by ORC on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great account, I couldnt remember much of my trial lesson, (too excited!) . Sounds like a perfect day, are you now hooked?. My guess is yes. All that remains now is for you to get back in the driving seat. I wonder if you could get away with a stick on moustache disguise and going for another free trial Laughing

Best of luck with your next flight , Leigh[/b]
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am thinking of doing some freelance trial lesson reviews Very Happy would any instructors care to have their "Trial Lesson" reviewed ....... I will do it for free Very Happy

I had a great day, I have always been hooked and its nice to be around people who are just as enthusiastic about flying helicopters. I dont subscribe to the "Fun Police" approach to life but I am not reckless. I spent my day feeling safe at all times. Well as safe as you can feel in an R22 at 750' maybe as I learn more I will feel less safe , who knows Very Happy upward and onward and planning my next step Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent account - start saving!
If it moves i want a go
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: The next step Reply with quote

Well its been a while, but not as long as my last break Very Happy . I have an hour booked for next Sunday, I have never done a whole hour at once before and as you would expect I am really looking forward to it. Things have changed quite a lot near me recently and there is a lot more heli traffic than there was. I get to see the North West Air Ambulance a lot more since their second aircraft entered service and also the Cheshire Constabulary has finally replaced "the plank" with an EC 135 which is often on "scally" patrol. I will of course return to advise you of my progress, i just hope the weather holds Very Happy
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff! have a great hour and hope the weather is CAVOK for you Very Happy
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks paddywak Very Happy

I was thinking about changing over training to the 300, rather than the R22. My reason is that I dont get to fly any where near as much as I would like or is practical. Apart from the "I want to fly a real helicopter , with a proper cyclic......etc" . From the many and I do mean many discussions, threads and posts about the 300 vs R22 for training I am drawing the conclusion I stand a graeter chance of gaining a PPL(H) in a shorter number of hours. I know all about the cost and the experience issues but in my case it really comes down to this....

Current average flying instruction average to date per year = 0.36

I accept each student varies and without regular training the minimum hours required to reach an acceptable standard will increase so I am going to expect at least 70 hours in an R22. That will take me to about February 2204. So even a small reduction in hours to complete would save me a substantial number of years.

IM NOT GIVING UP Very Happy

On a serious note though I would like any input you folks have on the R22 Vs 300 when you cant commit to regular training.
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was woken at 7am by the bedroom curtains flapping in the wind, this did not look good for todays lesson....quick look on the airfield website showed an average windspeed of 18 knots gusting up to 30 knots. Sky filled with black clouds and not looking good at all.

I got to Barton (City Airport) for around 10am and pottered into reception with my voucher for an hours trial lesson. Filled in the forms and admitted my weight, the real one, to the receptionist. My instructor arrived soon after and we walked across to the helicopter. Once aboard he asked, as I had done this a few times before, what would I like to do. I liked this as I am not on a particular training plan. As it was, to say the least a little breezy, the hover square would have been a little pointless with my limited experience so I asked if we could just do so straight and level flying with a demonstration of an autorotation. That was fine so off we went. We were given clearance to lift off and hold at 32 while the air ambulance landed. That was a new experience for me , hovering while another aircraft passes in front. Once clear we set off to the west in to a 20 knot headwind. Outside the ATZ ( Aerodrome Traffic Zone) we climbed to 650ft and were off towards Wigan. I took control of the cyclic and started to follow a course along a canal. I pointed out that there were no trim strings and was shown the little bubble. It did get a little bumpy and this started a disscusion on thermals.
I spent this lesson with control of the cyclic only and spent a lot of the time just chatting about what i was doing and the effects of wind speed in relation to air speed and ground speed. I know that its pretty basic stuff but your up there and its happening and its interesting. I have on previous lessons and today as well, had the feeling that I was not really in control , more doing what I was told rather than actualy being in real control of the aircraft. By just having the cyclic i started to get a better "feeling" of what I was doing rather than sensory overload of constant action of the aircraft, thinking what to do, correction of appropriate control, next issue. I enjoyed my flight today and could have stayed up there all day just flying along and chatting about cause and effect, wind, r22, what I would do with the right six numbers. With just having the one control I was looking around alot more checking instruments really getting a true feel of what my inputs were doing. Flying over hindley prison prompted a discussion on controlled airspace, I was just in heaven.
We changed course towards winter hill and then the dynamics of flying in one direction while the air around you is not became very obvious. I have started to get out of the van driving habit of looking at the world as the 180 degrees in front you. I actually realised i could and have to look all around. Still holding the cyclic I was just flying along keeping us heading in the right direction while feeling like we were flying sideways and then a final turn towards home. Now a tail wind is not something I have been introduced to before, like anyone who has a basic grasp of maths. I understand fully all the on paper effects of tail winds, head winds etc. But to actually experience them, is something totaly different. I can only say that it was like, well ....... have you seen the film fast and furious ? you know the bit where they are racing and they press the red button marked nitrus......may be its just me being 40 and never being up in windy conditions before but thats what it felt like. As we started to approach the ATZ, marked by the A580 , East lancs road my instructor took over the descent and I followed through on the controls. I new where we were but had not got a clue where the airfield was and did not spot it until quite late. Now for the auto demo.....I have heard them talked about, watched them on youtube but I cant ever recall anyone telling me how fast helicopters start to fall out of the sky when the power goes. It was nice to be there when those two needles dont match up and am glad I had asked for a demo. Power recovery complete we taxied off to the parking area. Shut down and blades locked off I walked back to my car to find my log book. Once that was filled in I said my goodbyes and went for a brew. Though windy it was not cold so I sat on a bench outside by the airside fence and watched a guy unwrap a 300 and do his pre flight checks. A perfect day and it was only 11:50.

I had a truly marvelous time, though it might seem I had a short flight with nothing more than the bleedin obvious going on. Knowing it and doing it are two completely different things I am all for the doing. I had a good lesson in new/different conditions I am still smiling and back to saving for the next one. Very Happy

On another point, my last flight was from Shobdon where the landscape is very different. I noticed then how fast the ground seems to come up when its the ground level and not your altitude thats changing. I know this is obvious stuff but I had such a good time today I am buzzing and my mind is racing.

Today was about flying a helicopter with no other purpose than flying a helicopter and being alive Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: