Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Making Use of Hour Building Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Making Use of Hour Building Time Reply with quote

What do people do to build hours, other than fly around a lot!! I am trying to work out a plan. I basically have about 90 hours to build up before I can do the CPL(H) flying course. I am looking at making the most out of it and doing things which build as many skills as possible.

So far, I have thought of doing a mountain course, flying across the channels, as well as some A-B flying to work on my nav, but I don't want to spend the whole time flying from A-B as I don't believe it will give me nearly as much experience as doing some kind of advanced flying courses. So far I have just visited airfields as I have relatively few hours, and wanted to stay safe!

Any suggestions? It's all a theoretical plan at the moment which I plan to spread over the next couple of years (for both financial reasons and the fact that I am going to be spending the next 8 months or so stuck with my head in the CPL books).

WhirlyGirl Cool
flyhigh
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello WhirlyGirl!

Ask your friends and/or relatives if they want come with you and take some pictures of their houses or other nice places from the air.
I think it is a good pracitce for orientation and navigation to find something
on the ground that is not an airport.(I used to work as a foto pilot)
And maybe your friends/relatives give you a little for the fuel or invite you for lunch.(During my training I was always short of money)
This is ofcourse only a suggestion.

Have safe flights, flyhigh
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers flyhigh!

Great idea. I'd like to take a picture of my own house, but it's right in the middle of the Birmingham zone in a very built up area so I'd have to be very quick on the shutter! Very Happy

WhirlyGirl Cool
heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Heli-Air trips are a must...from my experience of Ireland, Wales Mountain flying and Devon/Cornwall trip, we were constantly going into confined areas, private landing areas, numerous airfields, lots of navigation, radio work, map of the earth flying.
The down side is that if your having to do SFH is a lot of ???????????????????????????? ??the 3 trips I did this year totaled 38hrs.
Dolmangar
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US, some of that time can be fixed-wing time to build up to the CPL (there is a total PIC powered flight time requirement, and not all of it has to be in helicopters, although I don't remember off hand the breakdown).

I'm thinking about taking some fixed wing lessons and probably IFR training in fixed wing to save some money. FW should be easy after heli Smile

Are the regulations similar there? OR does it all have to be helicopter time?

On a side note, based on my flying this weekend, I've got 1.3 hours of solo left to cover my requirements (require 10 hours PIC/solo total). Then it's my final practice to be ready for the the oral and practical exams!

-M
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Use of Hour Building Time Reply with quote

WhirlyGirl wrote:
I am going to be spending the next 8 months or so stuck with my head in the CPL books

Ok, so it's turned out to be more like a year, but it's nearly over. Thumbs Up

In less than 2 weeks I shall have completed (and hopefully passed) the last exam. Laughing Laughing

So, I'm bringing this topic back to life hoping that some of you can share your hour building experiences and plans. I have got a few things in mind, but I'm open to suggestions. It'll be mostly R22 flying as I need to get as many hours in as I can with a limited budget.

Here's my list so far:

London Heliroutes
Mountain Flying
HeliTorque Fly-ins Thumbs Up
Isle of Wight
Isle of Man
Le Touquet
More HeliTorque Fly-ins Thumbs Up
Big London Airports
Visting Various Airfields
More HeliTorque Fly-ins Thumbs Up
Visiting Various Private Sites / Pubs / Hotels
Flying through Various CTR / CTZ / MATZ
Landing at Battersea Heliport
Even More HeliTorque Fly-ins Thumbs Up
Alton Towers

Aside from actual places I think it would be good to do some advanced training in preparation for the CPL course, VOR tracking, as well as very accurate A-B flying and getting very good at navigation without the GPS! My goal is to do interesting things with the hour building and while I'm at it (as well as improving my flying skills) meeting up with lots of forum members which would be great.

Would be grateful if you'd post your suggestions / experiences and if you want to meet up in your part of the country, we have a great excuse to fly over for a greasy burger in your local airfield cafe. Razz

WhirlyGirl Cool

Last edited by WhirlyGirl on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue i see with new pilots is long range navigation. My advice is hire a machine and fly to N Scotland, across to N. Ireland and go abroad. This will give you the confidence and ability to go almost anywhere with minimal planning. Quite often when I am flying a client they will get out their A to Z and ask to be taken to X. All while you are flying to A. Have to flight plan in the air, fuel weather etc etc. A lot of nav is not being phased by the situation !
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hughes500 wrote:
Quite often when I am flying a client they will get out their A to Z and ask to be taken to X. All while you are flying to A. Have to flight plan in the air, fuel weather etc etc. A lot of nav is not being phased by the situation !

That sounds like a challenge when you have your hands full with the controls. It's a good point and I will definitely have to start getting used to making changes to the flight plan mid flight. How do you cope with this? I sometimes spend half an hour doing a flight plan on the ground, and the mess I make on the table with all the charts, pens, calculator, flight computer etc would be impossible to do in the air when you are trying to fly the helicopter!!

I guess something you have to expect when flying is a change of plans, which can stuff up the best laid out flight plan. I am assuming, like anything, this gets easier with practice!

WhirlyGirl Cool
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the point I am making, go to lots of places round the country, in many cases you will remember certain areas points, cities etc etc. Doesn't half make a difference when you recognise something !
Get used to track crawling ! Also I find alot of ppl's are never taught to map read, they are all taught draw a straight line ! So what happens when there is a big shower on your straight line or the cloud is unexpecededly down on the ground ?
Go up with someone who can show you the finer points of map reading - try map reading off the contours, this means flying around 1000 to 1500 ft agl. This will tell you roughly where you are / going then narrow down from there. For instance all major roads / railways are built in valley bottoms - the line of least resisitance.
I could go on and on but i have a helicopter to go and start to go map reading !
earlybird
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WirlyGirl

Make every landing a challange. Sit down with the skids (left,right) on lines or preplanned points. Maks a diffrence when you are forced to land on a pile of rocks to finish off a job.

------- earlybird
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: