New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Hello from new member! advise needed :-)
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Hello from new member! advise needed :-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrsweet
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Hello from new member! advise needed :-) Reply with quote

Greetings

I'm looking into training for a PPL and wondered if anyone had experience with any schools based around the Warwickshire area? or indeed could point me in the right direction. I'm based near Stratford so would ideally be looking for a local school.

Costs per hour have certainly shot-up but looking at booking 10 hour blocks it seems just about affordable @ 250 ish per hour. I'm looking at doing this over 12 months rather than rush the process.

Any help would be much appreciated as it's i've a lot to learn and want to get off to the right start.

Done a little research into the types of machines schools tend to use, the R22 seems to be the main choice but some people have mixed thoughts on this, i guess other than spending double the funds the R22 is the only route to go?

Best regards

Mr S
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mrsweet

To answer your first question, your local school is probably HeliAir at Wellesbourne, but I have not had any dealings with them so I cannot offer any comment on their services.

You need to bare in mind that while buying block hours will reduce your rate, it does carry a very real risk. Several people have been burnt when schools have closed with money still left on deposit. While a credit card may offer some protection, I understand that some have still had issues when this situation has occurred.

Your choices for trainer are somewhat limited. The R22 has the lion's share of the market, primarily because cost is king. You will find volumes written extolling its virtues and lamenting its shortcomings as a trainer. The only real alternative is the H269/H300/S300 (the same aircraft, you'll just find literature using different terminology). This is not double the price, but it is typically more expensive than the R22.

I learnt on an early version of the H269, then moved to the R22. I subsequently taught on both types and my fence-sitting conclusion is that both are very competent trainers, but both have significant drawbacks.

What may influence your decision is what you think you may do with your licence after you got it. If you wish to progress to the R44, then the R22 would be a sensible choice (in my opinion) as there are many similarities between the types which will give you important transferable skills and understanding as a low-hour pilot.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mr. Sweet,

The Schwezier 300 is a great training machine. It is typically about 30 per hour more expensive to train in than the R22, but in the scheme of things that is not a huge amount.

I guess the nearest school to you would be Heli Air at Wellesbourne, who operate Robinsons. Visit a few schools before you make your decision though, there are Schweizer 300's (as well as R22s) at Helicentre Aviation at Leicester Airport, and I'm not sure if they have a 300 at Gloucester but that might be another option, not sure if it's a bit out of your way though. East Midlands Helicopters at Costock operate R22s. These are most your local schools so have a look around and a sit in each aircraft and see what you think!

Hope you can join in our wonderful world of helicopter flying soon!

Sarah
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to WhirlyGirls post - using the prices quoted in this thread there is a 12% premium for using a H269, which by my calculation is well into four figures over the duration of a PPL.

While training in the H269 is a perfectly acceptable proposal, you should consider:
1. The availability of aircraft for rental post-PPL
2. The slower speed of the H269 compounding the price difference when looking at travelling from A to B
3. Unscheduled maintenance leading to cancelled lessons and postponed trips. While I'm certain that people will disagree, my experience with H269 A,B,C and CB models is that all suffered significantly more unscheduled maintenance than Robinson counterparts, and associated downtime also seemed longer.

Having said that, you will get a stable training platform with a traditional cockpit layout and an excellent appreciation of RPM control and power management. Just don't expect to go anywhere quickly, and get used to hanging off your shoulder straps when you try! Wink

One other point: "I'm looking at doing this over 12 months rather than rush the process" - I'm not suggesting that you do things quickly for fear of missing the journey in the rush to the destination, but bear in mind that the more protracted your training period is, the more flying hours it generally takes overall.
Mrsweet
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all and thanks for this information.

Loads to think about! so first plan would be to visit some of the ^^ mentioned schools and book a trial lesson, looking at costs the R22 is my only option, i would like to do 4-6 hours per month training so thats still 2k a month ( x3 children and large mortgage does not help ) but that gives me a target of 8 months to hit 50hrs flight.

Depending on funds i might be able to add a few hours per month if i don't tell the other-half..

Regards future plans, i intend to attain my PPL first then build hours and do the commercial training, this is not a career change but i'd like to have the full training just in-case i decide to move abroad in the future.

Many thanks
Andy

Last edited by Mrsweet on Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr S, welcome!

Only a couple of additions from me:

The cost difference between the R22 and a 300 is probably not worth too much consideration over a PPL - typically the extra cost is lost in the overall expenditure you will face.

As the guys above said, the 300 is a great aircraft, but loses out to the R22 when you want to self-fly hire after qualifying, as its 10-15% slower.

Personally, I've had more problems with unplanned maintenance on R22s than 300s. I've flown 5 over the course of my short flying life (up to CPL), and only 1 caused me any headaches. I would suggest this is down to the school and who they use for carrying out the maintenance!

As has been said, speak to as many as you can, visit them if possible, and perhaps even do a short trial flight in both, if you can - it may be money well spent.

Who ever you choose - get it all in writing, including a full cost breakdown (hire rate, landing fees, fuel premiums, paperwork, exams), so you are able to budget effectively, and not have any surprises once you've started!

And then have a great time!!!
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever tried putting 3 people in an R22, can in a 300 !
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hughes500 wrote:
Ever tried putting 3 people in an R22, can in a 300 !

Provided they aren't too fat and don't want to go far in a hurry! Wink

W.
Mrsweet
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I'm starting to think the 300 would be the better machine after some research into the R22 so i guess the next stage would be to visit some schools.

Now i'm wondering if it would be better to do 2 or 3 hours training at once per week rather than 1 hour every weekend and spreading it out, i've got to take into account my car doing 15mph... and the time it'll take to travel over months and months etc.

So my question is - would i learn more/faster doing blocks of hours rather than single hours or would i find this to tiring doing that much in one sitting.

On another note, i'm off on hols next week so wondered if there were any books worth picking up from Amazon to do a little reading ( loads i'd guess ) Smile

Many thanks

Andy
chopperjockey
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there is the "other" option of not going to a school at all. (Private tuition if you like). The teacher can come to you.
Consider finding a local instructor and ask if they have access to a helicopter.You don't even have to train on licenced airfields anymore.
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrsweet,

I would try and locate a copy of Trevor Thom's Air Law & Met book, always a good topic to get started with. Some of it will make more sense when you start flying, rules of the air etc.

I would try and do a few hours a week, but no more then 2 a day in my opinion. One hour a week is going to take alot of time to get going as you will have to recap the previous lesson in alot more detail, in a perfect world flying everyday monday to friday will make the whole thing more productive and cost effective to you.

Best fo luck,

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: