Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill!

Helicopter Commercial add-on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CessnaN280_Pilot
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Helicopter Commercial add-on Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm starting my fixed wing training in a few weeks and needless to say I'm very excited. I love cruising around the skies in fixed wing planes, but there is just something about helicopters that pull me in. I did an intro flight last December and I loved the thrill of helicopters that you just cant feel in planes. I would love to make a career out of anything in my passion, which is aviation. I am still a high school student, so I have some time to think about my career choice. I was planning to get my ppl and instrument in a fixed wing and get a commercial helicopter add on. My question is...

Do I need a commercial fixed wing liscence to get a commercial add-on, or can I just have 150 total hours (fixed and rotor)?

How likely is it for me to get any job as a helicopter pilot with such few helicopter hours? And if so, about what would the starting salary be? If I got my commercial fixed wing I would expect to make around $20,000/year

Or, am I just mistaken and I cannot get a commercial helicopter liscence without a ppl(h)?

Thanks for all input Helicopter

(yes, I am a cessna pilot)
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I follow what you are asking...

You can not have a CPL (Helicopters) unless you have a PPL(H) first - but see below. And (from memory) you need:

150 hours total time.
100 hours of PIC time - 50 hours of which must be in helicopters - hence the need for the PPL first.
10 hours of instrument training - which I think has to be in helicopters.
FAA knowledge exam pass.
Checkride - similar to the PPL but the exercises have a smaller leeway allowed - like maintaining altitude to within 5 ft rather than 10 ft, etc.

I think I heard but I am not sure that you maybe able to jump straight to the commercial if you have the airplane rating and it does lower some of the hour requirements.

I am sure that AB or someone will be along soon to correct me if I am wrong! Smile

W.
niho
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotWolf wrote:
like maintaining altitude to within 5 ft rather than 10 ft, etc.

Please tell me this is a typo - otherwise I'm never gonna pass a CPL skills test!
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niho wrote:
PilotWolf wrote:
like maintaining altitude to within 5 ft rather than 10 ft, etc.

Please tell me this is a typo - otherwise I'm never gonna pass a CPL skills test!

It varies depending on the manoeuvre - air taxi is +/- 5 ft, traffic pattern -/- 100ft, hover +/- 2 ft, etc. I am sure I was that accurate when I took mine...

the details are in the PTS booklet - I think they are roughly all haf of what is allowed for the PPL.

Commercial PST - http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/media/FAA-S-8081-16A.pdf

W.

PS. These are FAA standards by the way not the JAA ones - just noticed you were in the UK.
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements differ whether you are going through Part 61 (take a look at 61.129c) or Part 141 (take a look at I141.1(c)(3)).

The answer to your question will be somewhere in the FARs, and hopefully that will give you somewhere to start... or that somebody more current on the FAA system will be able to give you some pointers!
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAR Skill Test Tolerances (Appendix 1, FCL 2.135)

Height normal forward flight.... 100 ft

Height - with simulated major emergency.... 150 ft

Height hovering IGE.... 2 ft

Heading/Tracking of radio aids - normal flight.... 10

Heading/Tracking of radio aids - with simulated major emergency.... 15

Speed take-off / approach.... 5 kt

Speed - all other flight regimes.... 10 kt

Ground drift - T.O. & hover IGE.... 3 ft

Drift permissible on landing.... Nil
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip2 wrote:
The requirements differ whether you are going through Part 61 (take a look at 61.129c) or Part 141 (take a look at I141.1(c)(3)).

The answer to your question will be somewhere in the FARs, and hopefully that will give you somewhere to start... or that somebody more current on the FAA system will be able to give you some pointers!

The 141 school route lowers the hours requirement but as far as I am aware the checkrides are identical in requirements. And it is a more structured series of lessons and assessments than a part 61 school. I believe if you are entitled to VA/GI benefits you have to use a 141 school.

W.
niho
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotWolf wrote:

It varies depending on the manoeuvre - air taxi is +/- 5 ft, traffic pattern -/- 100ft, hover +/- 2 ft, etc. I am sure I was that accurate when I took mine...

Ahh, phew - I assumed you were talking about normal forward flight... +/- 100ft I might have a chance at managing!
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotWolf wrote:
The 141 school route lowers the hours requirement but as far as I am aware the checkrides are identical in requirements. And it is a more structured series of lessons and assessments than a part 61 school. I believe if you are entitled to VA/GI benefits you have to use a 141 school.

W.

Yes, I presume the skills test are identical - I (unclearly!) meant the pre-test requirements vary.

I don't know whether one, both, or neither require a pre-existing commercial licence - I have always been told that you do need one, but I haven't seen it written in the FARs... but then I'd be lying if I said I was particularly au fait with them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: