New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 546
Members: 0
Total: 546

HeliTorque :: View topic - Radio/Communication Suggestions?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill!

Radio/Communication Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rekkoner1
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Radio/Communication Suggestions? Reply with quote

Hello

I hope my thread has found itself in the proper forum...if not, please move it or redirect me. Most of what I post will probably be of no use, but I want to do my best to provide you with sufficient information to respond to my question.

My mother's fiance is a helicopter pilot; he flies an R44. He's an instructor, and outside of that, does some freelance work: mostly 15-30 minute rides/tours, some work for news stations, helping biologists find plants in the mountains, finding lost herds of animals, and even helping Santa get around.

My mom has tasked me with finding a good set of 2-way radios for his work as a Christmas gift. Aaaaand I'm CLUELESS. The purpose of these radios would be for him to contact his ground crew while doing his 15-30 minute tours. I asked if she meant CB or something, but she's adamant that it's 2-way radios we're looking for. I have a set of 26-mile Cobra radios, mostly for screwing around up camping or for keeping in touch while traveling with multiple vehicles. But I don't know if that's what he would really need. They're 26-mile from mountain top to mountain top, about 10-12 in forest-type environment, and < 2 miles in a city. He'll have the advantage of being in the air, but always in the mountainous and canyon regions of Utah/Idaho.

Is that ^^ what you think he's looking for? I guess I'm just assuming that he'd need something much more advanced, and with better range. But again, I've no clue.

She is hoping to spend less than $200 and certainly no more than $300.

Is there anything that you guys have used for similar purposes that you'd recommend?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's early morning this side of the US (PDT) so I'm not going to start looking through the rules now but I think if it is for flight operations (even loosely!) he can legally use the normal aircraft radio and have the ground crew use handheld airband transceivers.

Certainly a lot safer (esp if in the R44) than trying to use a handheld whilst flying and eliminates the background noise problems from not using a headset.

W.
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first problem you would have is to be able to hear a handheld radio whilst flying in an R44 with a headset on. My suggestion would like above, get a ICOM or similar handheld for the ground crew. This works on the same frequency band as the aircraft radio. They are pricey but for an operation requiring essential communication, pleasure flying, lifting etc they are worth it!

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
rekkoner1
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help, you guys! I'm glad I found your forum, because I was clueless. I've been able to find several handheld ICOM Transceivers in the $2-300 range, and am now looking into reviews. Thank You!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: