New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - How long does it take to solo?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

How long does it take to solo? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our very own NY based CFI here... AFTERBURNER.

W.
lancsman
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the question should be how soon did you go solo and now in retrospect was you ready at that time?

Mark

PS I am assuming your CFI did think you were ready.
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 hours. 54 hours to complete the PPL (including the test)

Yup. I felt ready. With hindsight, my Instructor ensured I could manage more than just the minimum before he let me loose.
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15.5hrs over 3 years to solo (I had a fixed wing licence with about 70hrs, but hadnt flown other than renewals for 2 years).

36 Hours to Licence (did test at 34 but the CFI wouldn't submit my application until we had 36 in the book), cant remember why.

Was I ready for solo, not by my reckoning now, but its very hard to judge yourself.

GS
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was 15.3 to solo and 43.3 for the course.

At the time I felt ready to solo and did a reasonable job of it. Whether I'll think that was sufficient when I start teaching people myself remains to be seen (I suspect not...).

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
ifresh21
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flingingwings wrote:
You need a dictionary Cool

Solo -a flight in an airplane (or helicopter) during which the pilot is unaccompanied by an instructor or other person.

So 16 or 116 its basically the same.

I wonder if you're missing the point though. It's not you that decides when you'll solo. It's your instructor. Your attitude is just as important (if not more so) than your ability.

Are you merely looking to fly until you've flown the 1st solo?

Is something wrong with being curious and having knowledge? Jeez

Its not like im gonna be like: Im gonna solo when I get to this many hours; Or if I don't solo by a certain time im not gonna be happy. Everyone learns at different rates and safety comes first

Ofcourse a solo no one is in the airplane but does that also mean that instructors wont be on the radio or anything? I think Ive heard that some schools will do that - you will be in contact with the instructor via radio.

Am I wrong?

btw i am talking about the USA so im not sure if things are different

Thanks

Last edited by ifresh21 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

ifresh21,

A little tip: take a few deep breaths before you hammer away at the keys and read posts carefully. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and the odd light-hearted quip or ponted reply is not necessarily a personal dig at you - relax! Smile

Quote:
Its not like im gonna be like O I hit however many hours im gonna solo now or if I am not ready by a certain time Im not gonna be happy.

Now even you have to admit that's a difficult sentence to understand, what with the complete lack of punctuation (ducks... Rolling Eyes ) but if I read it correctly, yes your original post did give that impression. Going solo is an important event for any student pilot but it can be delayed or affected for many reasons. In the UK it's often weather. For me it was the time it took for the chest x-rays for my medical to come through. In the long run it matters not as long as you end up with a licence and a responsible attitude to flying and safety Cool

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
ifresh21
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
Quote:

ifresh21,

A little tip: take a few deep breaths before you hammer away at the keys and read posts carefully. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and the odd light-hearted quip or ponted reply is not necessarily a personal dig at you - relax! Smile

Quote:
Its not like im gonna be like O I hit however many hours im gonna solo now or if I am not ready by a certain time Im not gonna be happy.

Now even you have to admit that's a difficult sentence to understand, what with the complete lack of punctuation (ducks... Rolling Eyes ) but if I read it correctly, yes your original post did give that impression. Going solo is an important event for any student pilot but it can be delayed or affected for many reasons. In the UK it's often weather. For me it was the time it took for the chest x-rays for my medical to come through. In the long run it matters not as long as you end up with a licence and a responsible attitude to flying and safety Cool

OK

so for the record: my original question was answered. I got a few examples from people which is nice. And now I know about Sfar 73

Just one more question:

After your initial solo, during solo cross countrys and general practice flights (going anywhere allowed by flight school rules, If I understand correctly), did you have to maintain some sort of cummunication with the school (via radio)? Or where you free to fly as you like once given the OK to go up?

Did the cost per hour go down for your solo flights (vs dual)?

My local flight school is charging only about $10 less for solo flights, so I would like to know if things where different for you guys.

Thx

[USA]
rjc
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first Solo at 13.2 hours, having just looked that up, a whopping 0.3 hours of it. I took my flight test at 45.1 hours.

All that time there was no reduction in charges for Solo flying, but then I didn't expect any. As for Comms, I've no idea if my instructor was listening in when on my own. Given some of the comments over my RT when back on the ground I suspect he did... Otherwise, it was down to me to talk to the various people I needed to for Solo navigation and Cross Country flying.

All Solo flying was planned in advance, so the routes were known and the times. I did once arrive back early, owing to a steadily increasing oil pressure. Still in the Green when I got back, but only just. Everything checked out, the gauge was the problem. The times I was a little late back, well, best not go into those Embarassed
bom
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjc wrote:
The times I was a little late back, well, best not go into those Embarassed

No no no Mr rjc, those ones are the best ones to go into so us newbies who haven't made it to solo yet can learn from your wise tales Very Happy

The school I am with won't allow a solo until at least 20 hours.
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got me thinking (yes, thank you LoachBoy and Flingingwings - before you add your two penn'orth I know it's unusual). Do those of you who teach on both the R22 and the 300 see noticeably different times to get to solo and complete the licence?

Right - back to me pizza... Wink

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought never, ever crossed my mind DB. Honestly!
ifresh21
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjc wrote:
All that time there was no reduction in charges for Solo flying, but then I didn't expect any. As for Comms, I've no idea if my instructor was listening in when on my own. Given some of the comments over my RT when back on the ground I suspect he did... Otherwise, it was down to me to talk to the various people I needed to for Solo navigation and Cross Country flying.

All Solo flying was planned in advance, so the routes were known and the times.

Really surprising that they don't drop the price. Do you know why?

When you fly airplanes around here, you pay an instructor fee and without him the price drops.

How much does it cost to rent a helicopter with a license? Is it same as dual rate (the one you paid during your entire training)

Do you mean the you planned it or like the school?
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really surprising that they don't drop the price. Do you know why?

Not surprising at all. You will have been briefed and assisted in the planning stage by an instructor who needs to authorise the flight and be available to monitor your progress, and probably speak with you once you have reached your destination, if it is a cross country flight.

Quote:
How much does it cost to rent a helicopter with a license? Is it same as dual rate (the one you paid during your entire training)

You will have to contact your nearest helicopter rental/charter company to find that out, or they may show their prices on their website. No, it would be charged at the solo / self-fly-hire rate as you are no longer training and paying for an instructor.

Quote:
Do you mean the you planned it or like the school?

I'm sorry - I don't know what that means Confused

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifresh21 - you will plan your solo cross country, as you will have planned various navigation exercises before you reach that stage.

Your instructor will obviously (I hope) give it a quick check before you set out though.

For your solo circuits before that, there is obviously less planning, but you will still do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: