New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 613
Members: 0
Total: 613

HeliTorque :: View topic - The CPL(H) Diary (at long last)
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

The CPL(H) Diary (at long last) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The CPL(H) Diary (at long last) Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
So here I am, with around 190hrs logged and about to start flying proper. I'm doing the course with Marcus, Head of Training at London Helicopter Centres and it'll be in the R22 so it's time to do battle with the English weather!

Enjoy your time with Marcus, I was at LHC on 23/24 and had a very positive experience with him.

He passed my PPL flight test!

I probably just flew your nav exercise to the village, the little church, the town, the VOR and the diversion! All very familiar and the weather was a little better on Monday.

Good luck with the CPL

Harry
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report DB..... keep up the good work!

If it helps, I may be flying tomorrow if the GBW allows...... what's the meteorological equivalent of a sťance??? Shall we try one of those??? Confused
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

Welcome to Helitorque and congratulations on passing your PPL(H) course.

Loachboy,

I have been doing my "no rain" dance - I hope that assists? Wink

However... there is an update to today's update: despite the pessimistic TAF, from about 1300 onwards the vis gradually improved and the cloudbase gradually lifted. It didn't sneak much above 1300' but - are you sitting down? - we got airborne! Cool

My nav was successful in so far as I found the places I was supposed to find and the ETAs were reasonably accurate, but had it been a test I would have failed. By the halfway point of the heading hold leg I was a couple of degrees off so corrected for it and happily continued onwards, until i reached the edge of a built-up area and decided to detour slightly rather than plough across it at fairly low level. What I didn't do was tell my "examiner." Now the reason I didn't tell him was that I had read a briefing note that told me not to "give a running commentary." Perhaps I took this a little too literally so I just cracked on with it, whereas what I should have done was explained why I was altering heading (in fact I was told I could have carried on at the same altitude and heading without any problem, but there you go). Lesson learned.

We also both learned how to ident the VOR beacon with a cheeky button push that we didn't know you had to do, so we both learnt something Very Happy

My main problems at the moment are to do with rustiness. I haven't flown that frequently in the run-up to this course and it shows. the minute I start buggering around with things inside the cockpit my little helicopter changes speed and height. Marcus is happy that we can correct that pretty quickly, and so am I with more frequent flying.

Right - enough for now except to add that as a little bonus I got a back seat ride in an EC120 up to London for a peek at the Olympic building site and City Airport shortly after my nax-ex. I'll post some photos soon...

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pudding vs Flying... I am blaming the iPhone and its crap spell checker thing!

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Harry
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
Harry,

Welcome to Helitorque and congratulations on passing your PPL(H) course.

Right - enough for now except to add that as a little bonus I got a back seat ride in an EC120 up to London for a peek at the Olympic building site and City Airport shortly after my nax-ex. I'll post some photos soon...

Thanks

Marcus also thought I could have communicated to him more during my test!

Sounds like a good run in the EC120

Cheers
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Haggis - I'm well aware that your namesake is very much a main course rather than a pudding Wink

Harry - it was indeed a good run in the EC120. By chance I managed to get an even longer run today over a similar location in the back of one of our "company helicopters" Cool And on that note, congrats to our pilot who managed to get a scream followed by an "oops, sorry" out of one of my colleagues who accompanied us Very Happy

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
MAUW-oops
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Keep it comming Reply with quote

More, more, this is better than working.

Great insight, hope to be in a similar position early next year.

Keep up the good work.

Max-
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MAUW.

There will indeed be more, but only when my instructor decides to stop sunning his pasty parts somwhere much warmer and come back to Blighty to teach me how to fly better Rolling Eyes

In the meantime, here's some music...

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
MAUW-oops
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks.

Are Instructors actually allowed to take holidays ?

Dashed inconvenient if you ask me.

Anyway, look forward to further updates.

Thanks.

Max
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's back now, so we went flying again Cool

Sunday dawned bright and clear, CAVOK and a gorgeous blue sky. None of which bore any relevance to me as I spent it staring at the instruments somewhere over the Surrey countryside. As part of the CPL(H) course I have to complete 10hrs of instrument flying, and this is a new thing for me. As a product of the old CAA syllabus, I had never received any formal training in IF prior to this flight, so this was all new territory.

We had a board brief over a cup of tea during which Marcus explained the importance of the Attitude Indicator. We talked about IF turning, climbing and descending limitations and rate 1 and 2 turns, then he produced a pack of Post-It notes which were to obscure all but the AI to get me used to keeping that little orange dot on the line.

Once in the hover, we taxied out to the helistrip with turns to check the AI and DI and a bit of pitching to confirm the indications given by the AI. When airborne, after FREDAT checks during which the AI was set for level flight at 70kts, it was on with the foggles and a bit of delicate handiwork on the cyclic. We tried some straight & level, maintaining airspeed, heading and altitude. It seems I tend to make an almost imperceptible turn to the left - weird - and so shallow I didn't even notice it Rolling Eyes

Once we started turns (intentionally this time) I noticed the problems with my view of the AI from my position in the right seat, versus Marcus' from the left, coupled with the fact that the instrument is positioned left of centre - my 15 degree turns were clearly not! In fact, I'm doing a 15 degree turn when the instrument seems to me to be showing a 10 degree turn, so I need to remember that. Gradually, the post-its were removed and a scan was introduced, before I was able to swap the foggles for my shades, work out where I was (just south of Dorking, seeing as you asked Smile ) and head back to Redhill.

The 36 helistrip was in use, so I was asked to conduct an autorotation to the power recovery ending up alongside the start of the helistrip. My auto, although reasonable, ended up alongside the far end, so a bit of work to do there...

Oh well, another .8 logged and my next flight is on Friday. I'm hoping we can squeeze in two IF trips and hammer through the IF in time for the darker evenings, in order to get the night rating sorted.

Safe flying folks Cool

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work DB - glad the GBW has been behaving for you.

In true keeping with the Law of Sod, I had generally been okay with the IF - a little physio required on my neck after an hour or so under the 1890's foggles.

And sure enough, despite reasonable performances throughout PPL, LPCs and my CPL(H) course......... I got a case of the Leans during my test!!! Evil or Very Mad

Was over-correcting, under-correcting - generally making a complete dog's bottom of it.

Def keep throwing in good sessions with it...... and trust the AI.
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two more sessions today.

The first one was pretty good. We introdued some climbing and descending under the dreaded foggles - the delicacy of the controls pressures, as opposed to movements, that are required to achieve the subtle rates of climb and descent surprised me, but proved no great problem. In fact by the time I came back out into the visual world I found it more difficult to maintain speed and altitude! Mad

My precision EOL to the southern hover square failed dismally in as much as I only just made it over the airfield boundary. On the plus side we were the right way up and would have survived, but if I'd been aiming for a small field we would have ended up in Farmer Palmer's farmyard just next to Daisy's barn! Sad It was also the first time I've closed the throttle myself on an auto. So much new stuff!

The second flight introduced tracking a VOR under the foggles. All was going (reasonably) well until the VOR started playing up (not my words, I hasten to add) and kicking in the odd random half-scale deflection just for fun. Upon returning to the airfield another EOL had me much closer to my intended touchdown spot - getting there... Very Happy

Sod's Law dictates that I choose a CAVOK day to spend staring at the instruments, but what can you do? Rolling Eyes

That makes 4hrs down now and all to play for...

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd like to give you all an exciting update to my CPL(H) quest. But I can't.

Thanks to the GBW (see earlier posts) I spent a grand total of 24 minutes flying - and that's including warming up / cooling down - last Friday and none at all on Monday. Sod's Law of course dictated that Saturday was lovely when I wasn't able to fly due to prior commitments.

On the plus side we briefed for a bit of VOR intercept / tracking so that's all ready for next time we can actually make it across the ridge towards Ockham Rolling Eyes

In the meantime, please talk among yourselves... Wink

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not upload some "light elevator music" whilst we wait DB??? Wink

(PS. I've been to Ockham - a place right on the eastern edge of the old airfield!!! What a small world).
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this Video in a New Window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: