New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - ATPL H- why do i need to know about flying from UK to Japan?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

ATPL H- why do i need to know about flying from UK to Japan?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnBoy
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: ATPL H- why do i need to know about flying from UK to Japan? Reply with quote

I am doing my ATPL-H online and so far it is all geared towards commercial Planks, and inter-continental flights.
I am going with it,however,i have bought a JAA Test Prep book, and found that (according to this book) some questions are not asked if you are doing Helicopter exams.
And if this is so did anyone use the Cap696 on their helicopter Mass&balance exam.
Also I havent heard of any helicopters at FL350 doing 400Kts flying to Japan over the Poles.
I apologise for the moaning, but i have been slogging at my studies 3 hours a day for the past 4 months, and it vexes me that in todays modern avaition where the best get better, nobody has bothered making two different syllabus.
I am tired of having to always piggy back on fixed wing orientated stuff.
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club fella!

Don't know if its any consolation (actually, I know it probably isn't), but CAPT were making a concerted effort to work with the CAA to better focus the CPL(H) / ATPL(H) syllabus on helicopter specific material.

Trouble is....... the CAA is a big ol beast in which to make changes!!!

For what it's worth, I have a life-time ambition now, to fly a helicopter in the polar jetstream...... just to test my Met knowldege in application!!!
SFA
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

ireland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know a Warwickshire based FE(H) whose favourite story is of delivering an S61 from the UK to the far east. The exception to prove the rule I suspect but suffering convergence and all that goes with it is just one of the hoops you jump through on the way to becoming a skygod I'm afraid. If you do want to spare yourself an hour or two, the correct response to "where's the furthest you've flown then?" should be, as any good tabloid hack would know, to make your excuses and leave.
rjc
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my ATPL(H) ground school with CAPT (10 exams down, 4 to go ), this is a Helicopter based ATPL {Hi Phil wave}. Sounds like you are doing an interim syllabus - which has some Heli specific exams but otherwise seems to follow the fixed wing stuff.

You don't say which school you are with, but according to CAA Standards Document 31 Version 101 on Page 9 it gives those companies which do either the full or interim course. There aren't many which do the Heli specific course.

I was chatting to the exam invigilator recently, they said most Helicopter people that see sit a couple of Helicopter exams then everything is the same paper as the fixed wing chaps. I was the exception in both my sittings, everyone got the same exam paper bar me. They seem to be pretty focused to the Rotary world too, which was handy for Met, still cannot remember all the stuff to do with JetStreams...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: