Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments

FIRST TIMER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doony
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: FIRST TIMER Reply with quote

Hey this is my first msg on these pages, just looking for a bit of feedback or suggestions! Since i can remember i wanted to be a heli pilot and loved everything about all thigs helicopters. Over the years i've run my own business had several jobs and been a relative success at most of them but i have always wanted to investigate becoming a pilot further. However, a combination of, 'putting it off', financial constraints and pretty much every1 telling me it was a foolish pipe dream, meant that i never followed up on this ambition. Now at the age of 36 i am in a position timewise and financially (hopefully), to try and pursue this dream. I have asked a few people and the ppl seems to be the way to go and is possible for around 16k to 20k euro. I'm aware that the cpl could cost another 50k or so. Is this correct? I have had a couple of half hr lessons which were amazing and it has only whetted my appetite. What i'd like to know is, am i too old, are my figures correct, are there any jobs (or will there be in 2 yrs if im qualified) and am i crazy and should i just forget it?!!!
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning!

Firstly, never too old! Got my CPL at 36, know guys who got if far far earlier, also know a few who got it far far later!

I set out with the view to working full-time as a heli-pilot, but having said that, I think I would have done the PPL regardless of potential employment subsequently.

Can't speak for 2yrs time, but there isn't a coach-load of jobs for low-time pilots out there in the current climate; most likely is instructing work, probably at the school you finally elect to train through...... pay won't be great!

Personally, I'd do the PPL if you can afford it, then see how you (and the market) feel nearer the time!
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm 45 and into my PPL(H) training but have no ambition or finance to take it through to CPL level.

Good luck.
MintedMav
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doony,

I am currently doing my PPL(h) aged 38 and have been through the research and discussions with a lot of people. Here is a summary of what I found out.

1. It will probably cost close to 75k to get to CPL.
2. The chance of gettign work as a 190 hour new CPL pilot is close to zero.
3. You will need to go on and probably get instructor licence which is another 20k ish.
4. At this point if you can find work (and the market is bad at the moment) you can expect to be earning 20-30k per annum. Whilst building up hours and if depending which school you are at other jobs will trickle in but you are a long way down the pecking order.
5. Once you have a couple of years and c1000 hours you become a lot more employable and if your networking is good you may then find some more secure work and 40k-50k is achievable.
6. There is an argument that a significant number of ATPLs are going to be reaching 60 over the coming few years and this will provide a lot more work for CPLs/ATPLs coming through the ranks.
7. There is also an argument that the recession that is hitting the heli industry so hard at the moment could be improving and those training now to become CPL's in a couple of years time may find that the timing is good.

Question is as a businessman probably earning 6 figures plus the actual cost of doing this is 100k in training costs and 60k per annum + in opportunity cost / lost income (before tax). Can you justify this to yourself?

Or shouldnt you just get/share a nice R22 for play time at weekends Wink
doony
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, i was reading tonyboys questions in the wannabe's section, and the answers he received and the ones i have received have given me a lot to think about. My biggest relief is that i'm not too old, although i realise i would be up against significantly younger people if i was to do my cpl and seek employment at entry level. I really want to make a living out of flying and an income of 20k would be enough for me to justify the large initial outlay. Im thinking i should do the medical for cpl, go for my ppl as quick as i can and see how i feel about everything at that stage. i've read a few quotes from people recommending instructing at the school you've learned to fly. I know it depends on the flight school but does this happen a lot? my local school is in fermanagh and it seems like quite a small operation but also very professional, i'm wondering would they have the capacity to take on new instructors. obviously i'le have ask them but what do you think in general. i've also read that a lot of instructors are self employed which really doesn't interest me. thanks again for the comments and sorry if these are really tragic q's!
MintedMav
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doony wrote:
i've also read that a lot of instructors are self employed which really doesn't interest me.

I think you have almost no chance in getting an "employed" position as a newly qualified instructor. You will almost certainly have to go self employed for a time and take bits and pieces of work as they are going unless you fall on the biggest piece of luck going Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: