New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 546
Members: 0
Total: 546

HeliTorque :: View topic - How long did it take...........
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill!

How long did it take........... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
I think all you are experiencing, in all seriousness, is "bloody hell - I'm flying a helicopteritis." Don't underestimate the enormity of the task you are undertaking. Only months ago you have never had your hands on a helicopter and now are are flying one - that's quite a feat! It's that little nervousness coupled with a big portion of commonsense that separates you from the over-confident f***wits who are going to fly themselves into the side of a hill in weather that would have the rest of us sitting on the ground eating fast food in the cafe.

For what it's worth, a pilot I know was once criticised - wrongly, I think - by an instructor for being "over cautious." He is now one of the best pilot/instructors I know.

Great post!

When my instructor asked how many car accidents I had been in since I started driving and I said in 28 years, none...............he said "Well then, that bodes well for flying helicopters".

The problem is I seem to be so cautious that even banking the damn thing gives me the jitters!

I'm still hoping it will get better over time!
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALFA8C wrote:
The problem is I seem to be so cautious that even banking the damn thing gives me the jitters

Then after discussion with your instructor perhaps you need a properly briefed session of some, er, "spirited handling", tight turns etc. in order to restore your confidence and demonstrate that R22s can be flown in quite a robust manner (albeit sensibly) with no ill effect. I'm not talking about vomit-induced aerobatics or a tail-slide extravaganza, but just some demonstration and practice to show that, given the proper respect, skill and currency, these machines are not going to drop out of the sky at the merest whiff of a gust or a turn.

It might just work. And you might just enjoy it. Heli Boy

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
ALFA8C wrote:
The problem is I seem to be so cautious that even banking the damn thing gives me the jitters

Then after discussion with your instructor perhaps you need a properly briefed session of some, er, "spirited handling", tight turns etc. in order to restore your confidence and demonstrate that R22s can be flown in quite a robust manner (albeit sensibly) with no ill effect. I'm not talking about vomit-induced aerobatics or a tail-slide extravaganza, but just some demonstration and practice to show that, given the proper respect, skill and currency, these machines are not going to drop out of the sky at the merest whiff of a gust or a turn.

It might just work. And you might just enjoy it. Heli Boy

Good idea!

The fact it is so long in between lessons isn't helping either, I suppose it's like anything, the more you are exposed to something the more you get used to it!
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, frequency behind the stick certainly helps.

I had an interruption about a third of the way through my PPL..... was quite hit & miss getting regular lessons. Resolved the... interruption... and then things flowed much more smoothly!

If you didn't have moments where you question things, I don't think you'd be human! And actually, I'm quite happy now that I do have the odd moment..... reminds me of what I'm doing, and that I am mortal! (DB - I know, I know...... that will shock people, but there it is!!!)

As with most things, accrued experience & understanding helps a lot - keep chipping away, and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Yours,

Dalai Lama (Cpt) Wink
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LB, I must try and increase the frequency of my lessons and hope that helps!
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your advice and PMs chaps, I look forward to putting your comments into practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill! All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: