HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments

Spammers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Spammers Reply with quote

I see these *&%^) are coming back again...

Can I ask why their posts are never deleted by the staff? I understand everyone is busy - but I thought that was why the WGs took on some staff to deal with this crap.

I maybe a lone in my thinking but when you click on new posts and everyone is spam you will lose members and possible members.

PW
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on Wolfy! The posts are deleted. I'm often deleting rubbish posts. I also tend to ban the users making them, with a view that if they are genuine, then the accounts can be reinstated on request.

Some rubbish has arrived overnight - please don't expect us to be watching 24 hours a day, checking each post as it's made!!! Confused

Most of the time it's obvious, but sometimes, it can be difficult to determine what is spam and what isn't! A recent trick, is to take a sentence or two from a previous post in the topic, which then makes that post look relevant to the discussion! If there is something which hasn't gone, and you think should, please do alert one of us! (WhirlyGuy, WhirlyGirl, VeeAny and me)

I think Mark's also mentioned before - please don't reply to/quote them, as it gets to be a little messy editing out the stuff we don't want, keeping the stuff we do.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
Hang on Wolfy! The posts are deleted. I'm often deleting rubbish posts. I also tend to ban the users making them, with a view that if they are genuine, then the accounts can be reinstated on request.

Some rubbish has arrived overnight - please don't expect us to be watching 24 hours a day, checking each post as it's made!!! Confused

Most of the time it's obvious, but sometimes, it can be difficult to determine what is spam and what isn't! A recent trick, is to take a sentence or two from a previous post in the topic, which then makes that post look relevant to the discussion! If there is something which hasn't gone, and you think should, please do alert one of us! (WhirlyGuy, WhirlyGirl, VeeAny and me)

I think Mark's also mentioned before - please don't reply to/quote them, as it gets to be a little messy editing out the stuff we don't want, keeping the stuff we do.

No, there are some that have been there undeleted for weeks or months.It is not a case of them appearing overnight or being there a few hours and as I pointed out I realise that you are busy. Maybe more staff should be taken on?

Most of them are obvious - the links in the irrelevant posts are obvious - sorry no excuse, if you are reading the posts. Or they are replying to posts that are months or years old.

WhirlyGirl (I think) actually requested last time that people did NOT keep flagging them to moderators as you could deal with them - but the point of my post is you aren't!

PW.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, flag them to us by means of a PM.

Yes, often it's dormant topics, but users can legitimately post to a dormant topic - that's not all that uncommon.

I'm not aware of any left lying around - obviously they've been missed! Would you mind sending me links or topic ids?
Ascend_Charlie
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Spammers Reply with quote

How about you add a button to each post, saying "REPORT THIS POST" which relieves us of having to try to remember who the Mods are on each part of the forum. The button then does the hard work while we continue our enjoyment of the scintillating threads.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on the button - I'll leave that one to the Whirly-Folks. (I've no access to the forum source/servers.)

However, the people mentioned in my initial reply are able to remove spam from each forum - I take the point, but in the meantime, if you do wish to report spam, then please do let one/all of us know!

(Given the last few days, maybe I should set an alarm for 3am to remove the regular spam?)
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look through for the old ones - just got back to the UK after 16 hrs travelling and off again in about 12 hrs so not been online really.

The reason that I posted at that time of the morning was due to me being on California time.

W.
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be more activity from spammers on here at tbe minute than actual bonafide members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: