Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

Xmas Quiz!! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Xmas Quiz!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I just thought that with Christmas just around the corner that it might be nice to have a little Christmas quiz here on the HeliTorque Forums.

See how many of these you can get right without looking them up or using the internet. Please be honest to yourselves and post your answers here too!

1. Rudolf is not one of Santa's official reindeer, but one night he guided the sleigh because part of his body was shiny & red ??? what part was it?

2. Name Santa's official reindeer ??? there are 8 of them (1 point each!)

3. What do the songs "Jingle Bells", "Winter Wonderland", and "Sleigh Ride" have in common?

4. How many sides does a snowflake have?

5. Good King Wenceslas looked out 'on the Feast of Stephen'. When is the 'Feast of Stephen' - December 24th, 25th, or 26th?

6. What movie was the song White Christmas written for?

7. What country was the first Christmas stamp sent from - Canada, Austria or England?

8. What is "Frankincense" - a precious metal, a precious fabric, or a precious perfume?

9. Which silent film star died on Christmas Day, 1977?

10. How many gifts would you receive if you received all the gifts in the song '12 days of Christmas'?

11. What was the name of Scrooge's dead business partner in "A Christmas Carol"?

12. From what song do these lines come "She didn't see me creep down the stairs to have a peep; She thought that I was tucked up in my bedroom fast asleep"?

13. How many hours will a giraffe spend feeding in the wild on Christmas Day - 3 to 5 hours, 10 to 12 hours, or 16 to 20 hours?

14. Which movie had the following tagline: "This Christmas, the snow hits the fan." Tim Allen was one of the stars. (1994)

15. Assuming that the earth has a circumference of 25,000 miles, and that a reindeer can travel at 32 miles per hour, how many hours would it take a normal reindeer - not Rudolph, of course - to travel round the world once, without stopping?

Have fun with them Smile

W-Guy

........... give in!!! lol

W-Guy - PPL(H)
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, nice idea! I have no time to sit down and use my brain at the moment as I am just between lessons... but I'll have a look later.

However unless the answers are about helicopters I think we'll have to stick this topic down in the "anything goes" forum!! Wink

Ok, I suppose you could use the whiz wheel for no. 15... Wink

WhirlyGirl Cool
sandy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being a pedant re 15

No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

There are 2 billion children (persons under 18 ) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household, a total trip of 71.604 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding etc. This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound.

For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds.

Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.
353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy per second each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second.

Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.

In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now and his reindeer cremated.

Smile
sandy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an after thought - I guess Rudolphs nose was bright red for a fraction of a second before it incinerated.
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Christmas Quiz!! Reply with quote

Sandy!!! Is that you Sandy - as in Sandy Helmet? If so, blimey. err, hello!!!! Laughing

Long time, no hear!!

So, you are exploring the laws of physics when it comes to Santa's helpers then!!!
I will have to read up on my physics encylopedia asap Cool

In our world of course, we can never exceed the speed of light!!! (Said so on Tomorrows World a couple of years ago!!) But, well, in Santa's reign (ha ha reindeer) anything is possible!!

Don't like the idea of Rudolph and his mates being deaded!!!! Santa, well.....I can live with that, but Rudolph, etc..... Crying or Very sad

Must get round to answering these Wguy Xmas ????, but not tonight!!!
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the HeliTorque forums!!
Aha you've seen that text on the internet too! I seem to remember it had a lot more in it than that. I think that must be a shorter edited version.
Actually the question only said that the reindeer travel, not fly around the world so I didn't really break any time-space continuum thingies!!! Smile

Nice to see you in the forum and thanks for the reply, thought no one would ever reply to it. Just need everyone to get on their thinking caps now and answer the questions!! Smile

Take care and speak to you soon.

W-Guy

W-Guy - PPL(H)
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but but! If I post my answers in the thread, then everyone else will just copy. Rolling Eyes

Not that I'll get them right, anyway.
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

It's all just a bit of fun really! If everyone likes though you could always e-mail your answers to me or PM me with them and then the first correct set of answers I get will win and I will then post everyones answers for all to see if you like.

See what you think!

W-Guy

W-Guy - PPL(H)
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Christmas Quiz Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea, but it would still be fun to read other peoples answers as well, especially the 'off the wall' answers.

Purrrr Smile
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on the answers, but while we are on the theme of Christmas...

Anyone else like to buy one of these for the front of their house? They only cost a few hunderd dollars. Wink

WhilryGirl Cool
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got to be joking!

And what is it with these exterior christmas lights? I always thought that decorating the house etc. was so you could enjoy it over the festive period. But now, we get people putting lights on their rooves. Exactly how do they enjoy it, when they're inside, in front of the fire? Rolling Eyes

And they're causing all that extra light pollution too.

Merry Christmas.

Scrooge.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Actually I can't stand the things! I just thought it was amusing being a helicopter!! lol!

Whirly Cool
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And besides, it's the middle of November - what the heck are we doing discussing Christmas? Twisted Evil

There are 12 days of Christmas, and they start on Christmas day.
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Christmas Quiz Reply with quote

1. Nose
2. Dancer, Prancer, Blitzen, Rudolph, and god knows who else!!!......
3. Sleigh.
4. 4.
5. 24
6. White Christmas
7. Austria
8. Perfume
9. Charlie Chpalin
10. 78
11. ???????
12. ??????
13. Who Cares!!!!
14. ???????
15. If Rudolph cd travel around the world (because we all know that he can't possibly fly can he?) then by the time he booked himself into one of the international airports to board a 777, 747, 727, 757, etc, then it could be.......... F O R E V E R!!!
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: CHRISTMAS Reply with quote

Must look at the questions again that WhirlyGuy has posed for us!!!

Christmas should really be organised about a week before the actual day, don't you think!!??

Our decorations go up a weekend before Christmas Day and come down on New Years Day (headache and hangover permitting of course)!!!

But, hey, we are not the scroogy type - we still have a great time!! But, then, we have a great time all through the year - we don't need Christmas as an excuse!! As you know WGuy and WGirl Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: